The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to universities that is above your predicted grades

I’m predicted BBB but I know I can achieve ABB but I just don’t want to risk it and the teachers are being a massive barrier to changes to predicted grades. I want to apply to Warwick but entry requirement is ABB. Is it worth applying at all if I don’t meet the entry requirement? I’m not eligible for any contextual offers because I’m a broke person living in a relatively wealthy area so all the indicators they use presents me as privileged. Anyways I digress! Is it worth applying? Or should I just get my real A level grades then go through clearing
Reply 1
Which course - this makes a real difference.
Original post by ajj2000
Which course - this makes a real difference.

Biological Sciences
I wouldn't place all your hopes on clearing, but keep it in mind. General advice is out of your 5 UCAS choices, 1 or maybe 2 should be aspirational, two should be at your predicted grades (safe) and 1 (or 2 if there's one left) should be a lower fallback option.
With this in mind I'd say it's definitely worth putting Warwick as one of your choices and see what happens. Put work into your personal statement to make it the best it can be.
Reply 4
I think there were lots of bio sciences courses in clearing this year - many with much reduced grades. If you think your grades may pick up I’d go for it at a couple of universities and see what happens.
Original post by ajj2000
I think there were lots of bio sciences courses in clearing this year - many with much reduced grades. If you think your grades may pick up I’d go for it at a couple of universities and see what happens.

So is it worth putting it as one of my choices or I’ll just put my hopes on clearing if I get the grades
Reply 6
It’s worth putting as a choice if you want a particular university. You still have other options for slightly safer places
Apply.

Many Unis/subjects will still make you an offer even if your predicted grades are one grade below their stated requirements - but remember, somewhere like Warwick will want the right grades on Results Day so once you have the offer, think carefully before making it your Firm. One 'risky' choice like this is fine, and worth it - just make sure your other choices are more in line with your predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending