The Student Room Group

Psychology graduates- HELP

Hi, I am currently a second year Psychology student at the university of St.Andrews and I am stressed over career prospects!! I am currently considering clincal or counselling psychology but unsure how easy that is to get into? Any info on what you have done since graduating/ advice would be much appreciated!!
Original post by Chantellec2000
Hi, I am currently a second year Psychology student at the university of St.Andrews and I am stressed over career prospects!! I am currently considering clincal or counselling psychology but unsure how easy that is to get into? Any info on what you have done since graduating/ advice would be much appreciated!!

My uni friend graduated in Pysch from St Andies. She then did an occupational therapy Masters at the Uni of Essex (Colchester campus).

I generally advise against Psych degrees for all but the most dedicated of students due to risks regarding career prospects, but for everyone I recommend you get some non-related as well as related work experience to widen your options after graduating. I know some Pysch grads at St Andrews who ended up at Big Four firms etc, but most seem to be doing masters degrees at London/Oxbridge or in the states
I graduated from my psychology BSc in 2011 and then went on to do an Msc and study medicine. I’m currently a psychiatry trainee in my 4th year post qualification.

Happy to answer any questions you have about medicine as a post graduate or working in mental health. I’m obviously not a psychologist, but we deliver psychological therapies as part of our training and I sit alongside psychologists all day, so I may be able to answer some basic general psychology related career questions.
Reply 3
I would advise looking at the job profiles of both on this site, it gives a good background on both roles: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/counselling-psychologist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

I'm a third year psychology student currently looking at clinical psychology so I can a bit more help on that. All you technically need to become a licensed clinical psychologist is an undergraduate degree accredited by the BPS and a doctorate in clinical psychology. However getting accepted by the doctorate is extremely hard and requires a lot of work experience and possibly further education such as a masters. I've attached a survey of students from birmingham who are undertaking a doctorate where they explain the paths they took to get there. While it does take a lot of hard work to get the doctorate once you get it you are pretty much sorted as you are paid as a trainee clinical psychologist by the NHS, it has around a 95% pass rate (I think, might have that wrong) and the rate of pay afterwards is extremely lucrative.

If its a path you definitely want to go on I would advice finding relevant work experience right away if you haven't already and good luck, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Rozza963
I would advise looking at the job profiles of both on this site, it gives a good background on both roles: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/counselling-psychologist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

I'm a third year psychology student currently looking at clinical psychology so I can a bit more help on that. All you technically need to become a licensed clinical psychologist is an undergraduate degree accredited by the BPS and a doctorate in clinical psychology. However getting accepted by the doctorate is extremely hard and requires a lot of work experience and possibly further education such as a masters. I've attached a survey of students from birmingham who are undertaking a doctorate where they explain the paths they took to get there. While it does take a lot of hard work to get the doctorate once you get it you are pretty much sorted as you are paid as a trainee clinical psychologist by the NHS, it has around a 95% pass rate (I think, might have that wrong) and the rate of pay afterwards is extremely lucrative.

If its a path you definitely want to go on I would advice finding relevant work experience right away if you haven't already and good luck, hope this helps :smile:

Thanks so much for the help, I have looked into clinical psychology and it does look very competitive !! As you are a year further, have you done any relevant experience/ have any tip on how to get some? Thanks !!
Reply 5
I'm about to undertake some volunteering working with psychiatric patients in a hospital which is pretty much perfect. I would just advice searching for nearby volunteering opportunities online or possibly ask some services at your uni to be pointed in the right direction to find some (tutor, career advice, etc)

Quick Reply

Latest