Putting "English" as nationality is racist, apparantly! :S Watch

Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've been filling out the personal details, etc. bit of my UCAS form, and my tutor had a look at what I'd filled out so far and said "I think it's better to write "white British" not english, because some people consider it racist"
My reply: "hello, we're in England!"
I can't understand why english would be considered racist and not British!
bighairedmike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the UCAS website it won't let yu put English as a nationality. It just comes up that you must enter a nationality. That's racist to English people surely
largebrandon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Its like if I say I'm a New Yorker instead of saying American. I do not see how that's racist.
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's strange, because as far as I know, from people I've spoken too. It's only the English that seems find putting English to be racist.
neon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how the **** is it racist. english isnt a race. nor is british.
tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not racist it's just wrong, nationality is British.
iMacThere4iAm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is weird indeed. Interestingly, English is not a valid nationality - you can't put it on official forms etc. Welsh, Scottish and Irish are, however. Harsh, if you ask me. The English are as entitled to their nationality as much as we are.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by largebrandon)
That is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Its like if I say I'm a New Yorker instead of saying American. I do not see how that's racist.
Yeah it is, I wouldn't really care if you said "I'm a New Yorker" if you were filling out an official form that I had given you :p: It wouldn't matter, i'm not gonna be like "OMG you're so racist!"
quintsy
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
How odd.. it's just being more specific from a geographical point of view; I highly doubt people would use UCAS as a soap-box for their racist tendencies :p:
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
I've been filling out the personal details, etc. bit of my UCAS form, and my tutor had a look at what I'd filled out so far and said "I think it's better to write "white British" not english, because some people consider it racist"
My reply: "hello, we're in England!"
I can't understand why english would be considered racist and not British!
Interesting, why do UK unis ask for ethinicity/ nationality? Do they have quotas for certain groups??
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your tutor is obviously a prat, but it's not a big deal. I guess it is because you are supposed to put British in order for the system to analyse its applicants correctly.

EDIT: I think it's because you put English for your racial group -- English isn't a racial group, it's a nationality. White British is a racial group. It could be considered racist because it tacitly assumes that being English is to be white. But it's a simple mistake; not a real issue.
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the world has gone bloody mad
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)
Interesting, why do UK unis ask for ethinicity/ nationality? Do they have qoutas for certain groups??
Of course not: you don't have to give them the information. It's just for statistics to see how 'well' they are doing in attracting certain racial groups etc.
laura-rad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm english but my mum made me put british because she was worried that they'd take away my free university education for living in scotland :p: mums eh?
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
Your tutor is obviously a prat, but it's not a big deal. I guess it is because you are supposed to put British in order for the system to analyse its applicants correctly.
yes my tutor is a bit weird, he's a middle age ex-university of Kent sociology lecturer, and today he found my picture on his register sheet and kept calling me "beautiful" and "pretty" Lol! Freaky... but he sees me as a racist even though he's english himself :p:
Absurd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your teacher is stupid.
Lord Lawz
Report 10 years ago
People don't even know what the definition of racism is. Are you discriminating against racial groups? No.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
yes my tutor is a bit weird, he's a middle age ex-university of Kent sociology lecturer, and today he found my picture on his register sheet and kept calling me "beautiful" and "pretty" Lol! Freaky... but he sees me as a racist even though he's english himself :p:
sub-consciously aren't most 'white British' intolerate? Not necessarily outspoken, but still!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
EDIT: I think it's because you may have put English for your racial group -- English isn't a racial group, it's a nationality. White British is a racial group. It could be considered racist because it tacitly assumes that being English is to be white (even if you don't think that). But it's a simple mistake; not a real issue.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Probably yeah i think that's what i did :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads