The Student Room Group

Putting "English" as nationality is racist, apparantly! :S

I've been filling out the personal details, etc. bit of my UCAS form, and my tutor had a look at what I'd filled out so far and said "I think it's better to write "white British" not english, because some people consider it racist"
My reply: "hello, we're in England!"
I can't understand why english would be considered racist and not British!

Scroll to see replies

On the UCAS website it won't let yu put English as a nationality. It just comes up that you must enter a nationality. That's racist to English people surely
That is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Its like if I say I'm a New Yorker instead of saying American. I do not see how that's racist.
It's strange, because as far as I know, from people I've spoken too. It's only the English that seems find putting English to be racist.
Reply 4
how the **** is it racist. english isnt a race. nor is british.
Reply 5
It's not racist it's just wrong, nationality is British.
It is weird indeed. Interestingly, English is not a valid nationality - you can't put it on official forms etc. Welsh, Scottish and Irish are, however. Harsh, if you ask me. The English are as entitled to their nationality as much as we are.
Reply 7
largebrandon
That is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Its like if I say I'm a New Yorker instead of saying American. I do not see how that's racist.

Yeah it is, I wouldn't really care if you said "I'm a New Yorker" if you were filling out an official form that I had given you :p: It wouldn't matter, i'm not gonna be like "OMG you're so racist!"
Reply 8
How odd.. it's just being more specific from a geographical point of view; I highly doubt people would use UCAS as a soap-box for their racist tendencies :p:
Reply 9
Redpanda91
I've been filling out the personal details, etc. bit of my UCAS form, and my tutor had a look at what I'd filled out so far and said "I think it's better to write "white British" not english, because some people consider it racist"
My reply: "hello, we're in England!"
I can't understand why english would be considered racist and not British!

Interesting, why do UK unis ask for ethinicity/ nationality? Do they have quotas for certain groups??
Your tutor is obviously a prat, but it's not a big deal. I guess it is because you are supposed to put British in order for the system to analyse its applicants correctly.

EDIT: I think it's because you put English for your racial group -- English isn't a racial group, it's a nationality. White British is a racial group. It could be considered racist because it tacitly assumes that being English is to be white. But it's a simple mistake; not a real issue.
the world has gone bloody mad
UGeNe
Interesting, why do UK unis ask for ethinicity/ nationality? Do they have qoutas for certain groups??

Of course not: you don't have to give them the information. It's just for statistics to see how 'well' they are doing in attracting certain racial groups etc.
Reply 13
i'm english but my mum made me put british because she was worried that they'd take away my free university education for living in scotland :p: mums eh?
Reply 14
jismith1989
Your tutor is obviously a prat, but it's not a big deal. I guess it is because you are supposed to put British in order for the system to analyse its applicants correctly.

yes my tutor is a bit weird, he's a middle age ex-university of Kent sociology lecturer, and today he found my picture on his register sheet and kept calling me "beautiful" and "pretty" :s-smilie: Lol! Freaky... but he sees me as a racist even though he's english himself :p:
Reply 15
Your teacher is stupid.
Reply 16
People don't even know what the definition of racism is. Are you discriminating against racial groups? No.
Reply 17
Redpanda91
yes my tutor is a bit weird, he's a middle age ex-university of Kent sociology lecturer, and today he found my picture on his register sheet and kept calling me "beautiful" and "pretty" :s-smilie: Lol! Freaky... but he sees me as a racist even though he's english himself :p:

sub-consciously aren't most 'white British' intolerate? Not necessarily outspoken, but still!
EDIT: I think it's because you may have put English for your racial group -- English isn't a racial group, it's a nationality. White British is a racial group. It could be considered racist because it tacitly assumes that being English is to be white (even if you don't think that). But it's a simple mistake; not a real issue.
Reply 19
Probably yeah i think that's what i did :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending