The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How to calculate UCL module marks? Help with classification

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am trying to find out which marks I would need in order to obtain a particular degree classification/mark. I am currently do an MA.

Here are the modules and their respective credits:

Module 1: 30 credits - Mark: 70
Module 2: 30 credits Mark: 66
Module 3: 60 credits (Dissertation) Mark: 75
Module 4: 15 credits Mark: 69
Module 4: 15 credits. Mark: 60
Module 5: 15 credits Mark: 70
Module 6: 15 credits Mark: 50

Full programme credit is 180 credits.

Can anyone help with how to do the calculation in order to figure out the grade?

Hope someone can help!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am trying to find out which marks I would need in order to obtain a particular degree classification/mark. I am currently do an MA.

Here are the modules and their respective credits:

Module 1: 30 credits
Module 2: 30 credits
Module 3: 60 credits (Dissertation)
Module 4: 15 credits
Module 4: 15 credits
Module 5: 15 credits
Module 6: 15 credits

Can anyone help with how to do the calculation in order to figure out the grade?

Hope someone can help!

Leaving aside the fact that you haven't actually said which particular classification you're aiming at, this cannot be calculated. Too much information is missing. You've given 180 credits here, but no idea of whether they contribute equally to the final mark, what marks you have achieved so far, etc.

The only thing that can be said is that each module will need to be passed at 40. Usually where there's a coursework and exam element, each part needs passing at 40.

If you supply the missing information, we can help you further.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Reality Check
Leaving aside the fact that you haven't actually said which particular classification you're aiming at, this cannot be calculated. Too much information is missing. You've given 180 credits here, but no idea of whether they contribute equally to the final mark, what marks you have achieved so far, etc.

The only thing that can be said is that each module will need to be passed at 40. Usually where there's a coursework and exam element, each part needs passing at 40.

If you supply the missing information, we can help you further.

I have supplied what each module's credit is worth. They're a mixture between 15, 30 and 60 credits. The full programme credit is 180.

I don't have any more information than this unfortunately. I believe this is the only information you need to calculate the classification.

Averaging 68.5 is the threshold for a Distinction, anything below that is a Merit.
I believe this is the only information you need to calculate the classification.

So why do you need help?

Over to someone else...
I think you misunderstood me.

I haven't finished my degree yet, I want to know the THINKING behind how to work out a classification. Everyone knows an MA is 180 credits and that 68.5 is the threshold for the highest classification.

I've posted it on the UCL forum, so hopefully UCL students will probably know the answer.

Thank you - yes, I"m aware of how a Masters level course is marked. And I'm sure UCL will help you, forum wise.

It's actually you who is misunderstanding me. The point that you are trying to do an impossible calculation. If you get 68.5 in each of these modules, then the average is 68.5 and you've got a distinction. Easy.

If you get 64.5 in Module 3, what will you then need... In which module? Overall? What if you get 70.4 in Module 4 and 60.2 in Module 5. What do you need now in the remaining modules for 68.5 overall...?

There are too many permutations to be able to actually give you any sort of answer to your question.
I'll make it easy for you. I was hoping someone might use random module marks to figure it out. So I'll do it:

Module 1: 30 credits - Mark: 70
Module 2: 30 credits Mark: 66
Module 3: 60 credits (Dissertation) Mark: 75
Module 4: 15 credits Mark: 69
Module 4: 15 credits. Mark: 60
Module 5: 15 credits Mark: 70
Module 6: 15 credits Mark: 50

Full programme credit is 180 credits.

Your at UCL,
surely you can figure out calculating a weighted average.

(the sum of each weighted element of every module x the mark) / the total weighting = average mark
Reply 6
If you don't know anything about university just don't comment instead of trying to make argument on who is misunderstanding what. sigh... which uni did u even go to? lol
(edited 1 year ago)
I know this is a very old thread. As a first year student, I am slowly wrapping my head around how to calculate degree classification. For the MA student, wouldn't the total weighted score be 67.57, and so OP had obtained a 2:1 (60-69% being 2:1)

Sum of 30/180 x 70, 30/180 x 66, 60/180 x 75 and so on = 67.57
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is a very old thread. As a first year student, I am slowly wrapping my head around how to calculate degree classification. For the MA student, wouldn't the total weighted score be 67.57, and so OP had obtained a 2:1 (60-69% being 2:1)

Sum of 30/180 x 70, 30/180 x 66, 60/180 x 75 and so on = 67.57

This thread is 4 years old. Please don't bump old threads!

Also masters degrees are normally awarded pass/merit/distinction not 3rd/2:2/2:1/1st.

Also for posterity UCL publishes the degree classification schemes for all courses publicly here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/chapters/chapter-4-assessment-framework-taught-programmes/section-7-classification

Latest

Trending

Trending