The Student Room Group

Mature Student @ Uni Help?

Hi all,

I am wanting to enquire if I would be entitled to any help being a mature student at uni?
I understand no one would be able to let me know exactly but just to give a bit of background.

I am 25 (will be 26 when I start uni) with one child (will be 2 when I start uni), living at home with parents and claim Universal Credit, baby's dad has nothing to do with him and does not pay maintenance.

What help (if any) would i get being a mature student? I am studying Adult Nursing so obviously no bursary anymore but in terms of Universal Credit being a full time student, childcare costs etc?

If anyone can offer any advice that would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by mollyallison
Hi all,

I am wanting to enquire if I would be entitled to any help being a mature student at uni?
I understand no one would be able to let me know exactly but just to give a bit of background.

I am 25 (will be 26 when I start uni) with one child (will be 2 when I start uni), living at home with parents and claim Universal Credit, baby's dad has nothing to do with him and does not pay maintenance.

What help (if any) would i get being a mature student? I am studying Adult Nursing so obviously no bursary anymore but in terms of Universal Credit being a full time student, childcare costs etc?

Firstly, have u asked your uni if they offer any help/childcare?
Reply 2
Hi all,

Also:

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
Reply 3
I have enquired about it and thought i would ask here too - its all very new to me and was advised if i have a child to get as much help as possible that they offer and to really push for it from the uni along with finding out everything they offer you (i have three unis near me that i am applying for and wanting to get a good view on what all three offer) - in case by some miracle i get a place in all three :rolleyes:

Original post by Nununu

Also:

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
Hi all,

Hi there @mollyallison

You should talk to the universities you're considering apply to and see what their student support departments offer advice-wise.

I'd also have a look at the Gingerbread site. They offer information on grants and bursaries here.

Fi :horse:
Reply 5
From what I heard from the students at the university I am attending that universal credit count student loan as income. So that affects how much benefit you get obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending