The Student Room Group

Instagram influencer, 22, claims learning about WWII would hit millennials' mental he

Scroll to see replies

It would do the youth a lot of good for their mental health to have to learn about how tough past kids had it, and how nice and comfy they have it now.

Having a tough day because a few people didn't like your instagram pic? Learning about kids watching their homes/families blown up in the blitz, or young boys heading out to war to be sent to their death, or young people being gassed and imprisioned just because of the family they were born into.. may be put life into perspective.

I sincerely hope such views don't move to the mainstream. Not learning about your history or how past generations fought for your freedom is daft. Why is the media so interested in thick young people? Why don't they engage with intelligent ones, who can inspire the next generation rather than mundane dullards? Oh well.
History is the most important subject you can learn. You know nothing about the world today if you dont know the history that provides context for it. That's unbelievable.
The last person we should listen to is an "influencer".

He isn't even a Millennial yet he was in a debate about Millennials :facepalm2:
One of the most dumbest claims, EVER! Shame on that "influencer". World War 2 affected everyone and the scale of the war, not just because it is named WORLD WAR was beyond anyone's imagination, like the British Corps Desert Rats who were fighting in North Africa for example, hard to believe they were there fighting when Italy allied with the Nazi's at the time was in the way.

Being 2019 now, terms like"post-war" are used on describe, grade and list 1950s/1960s historical buildings for example like the Trellick Tower, to see what people did in their 1950s or 1960s to build/rebuild towns but having to deal with how they felt about the war. The Berlin Wall is another great example. You notice how many people sell the fragments of the wall when it was knocked down because how it was seen as a post-war structure because people felt like they didn't want another war and there's no more wall. A big deal.

There's something seriously wrong with that Instragram user. That user is missing out.
Reply 6
'Millennial' means they would be in high school during the new millennium. If you're 22 that's easily generation Z
As a nation it was without doubt our proudest moment, and as a people our finest generation.
Young men his age ran into a hail of lead on the beaches of Normandy in the full knowledge that there was a good chance they were going to die.
People like this make our generation look bad.
Having said that all wars should be taught not just WWII, I feel that britian likes to cream itself over it as it was a clear victory. Teaching about Iraq and Afghanistan is less palatable.
In the video, he says that he wouldn't advocate for a complete ban on teaching WW2 but that there should be more of a focus on life skills. But I suppose most haven't even watched the direct source.

While teaching about wars may negatively impact a persons mental health, that comment was quite odd to me.
Original post by CoolCavy
Having said that all wars should be taught not just WWII, I feel that britian likes to cream itself over it as it was a clear victory. Teaching about Iraq and Afghanistan is less palatable.

Exactly. We should show the costs of conflict regardless of whether we won or not.
Original post by rcmotorboy
One of the most dumbest claims, EVER! Shame on that "influencer". World War 2 affected everyone and the scale of the war, not just because it is named WORLD WAR was beyond anyone's imagination, like the British Corps Desert Rats who were fighting in North Africa for example, hard to believe they were there fighting when Italy allied with the Nazi's at the time was in the way.

Being 2019 now, terms like"post-war" are used on describe, grade and list 1950s/1960s historical buildings for example like the Trellick Tower, to see what people did in their 1950s or 1960s to build/rebuild towns but having to deal with how they felt about the war. The Berlin Wall is another great example. You notice how many people sell the fragments of the wall when it was knocked down because how it was seen as a post-war structure because people felt like they didn't want another war and there's no more wall. A big deal.

There's something seriously wrong with that Instragram user. That user is missing out.

:frown: I fully agree.
No doubt our `Influencer` friend and his wannabe disciples would soon start their whines if they had to walk to infant school such as we did - all weathers by the way and not just when it was a nice day with Mummy to drive you a few hundred metres there to show off the latest SUV at the school gates, blocking all the traffic and bus in doing so, to their pals when it was not as I see on my estate - past bombsites and to a school of which some parts had only been temporarily repaired from war damage .

And this was nothing compared to what the generations who had been in the two world wars- the most destructive man-made events in relative recent history, which deny it or not still have knock on effects today had to contend with ( and most certainly not forgetting those involved directly in conflicts more recently since as somebody mentioned). I well remember my Father having PTSD (shell shock then) such that my Mother used to send us over the road to be looked after by a neighbour at times - and this is not a personal sob story, but was very typical and common at the time ( only those extreme cases got a fraction of the help that`s available today and even then spasmodically).

I certainly can`t stand the glorification of any of it, for factual documentaries Freeview Channel 25 ( formerly 19 ) I think is very good. History has an uncanny knack of repeating itself if ignored. Sorry Influencer!

By the way as I have mentioned before, the former footballer Gary Lineker is presenting a programme on BBC1 on the 11th November at 9pm " My Grandad`s Untold War" of finding out and revisiting the localites concerned about his grandfather`s mostly untold experiences as a medic in Italy in WW2.

The late Allan Whicker who used to present holiday programmes on TV was in charge of an army film unit in Italy in WW2 - and over half of those had life changing injuries or were killed doing their job.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12

This kind of ignorance is what led to people voting for Brexit. WW2 provides a vital example of the importance of the co-operation and unification of Europe, and demonstrates a critical reason why we must remain in the EU.

Luckily, not many millenials share his ignorance.
Reply 13
Original post by CoolCavy

Exactly so.
Reply 14
Original post by UnclePete
:frown: I fully agree.
No doubt our `Influencer` friend and his wannabe disciples would soon start their whines if they had to walk to infant school such as we did - all weathers by the way and not just when it was a nice day with Mummy to drive you a few hundred metres there to show off the latest SUV at the school gates, blocking all the traffic and bus in doing so, to their pals when it was not as I see on my estate - past bombsites and to a school of which some parts had only been temporarily repaired from war damage .

And this was nothing compared to what the generations who had been in the two world wars- the most destructive man-made events in relative recent history, which deny it or not still have knock on effects today had to contend with ( and most certainly not forgetting those involved directly in conflicts more recently since as somebody mentioned). I well remember my Father having PTSD (shell shock then) such that my Mother used to send us over the road to be looked after by a neighbour at times - and this is not a personal sob story, but was very typical and common at the time ( only those extreme cases got the degree of help that`s available today and even then spasmodically).

I certainly can`t stand the glorification of any of it, for factual documentaries Freeview Channel 25 ( formerly 19 ) I think is very good. History has an uncanny knack of repeating itself if ignored. Sorry Influencer!

By the way as I have mentioned before, the former footballer Gary Lineker is presenting a programme on BBC1 on the 11th November at 9pm " My Grandad`s Untold War" of finding out and revisiting the localites concerned about his grandfather`s mostly untold experiences as a medic in Italy in WW2.

The late Allan Whicker who used to present holiday programmes on TV was in charge of an army film unit in Italy in WW2 - and over half of those had life changing injuries or were killed doing their job.

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. The sacrifices made both by those who didn't come back, or by those like you're father who came home damaged, to ensure that my parents generation and my generation could live with the freedom we have today is monumental and should never be forgotten. People like this give my generation a bad name (well technically I'm GenZ but still), due to their ignorance of history.
Oh yes because I am sure the war itself was excellent for the soldiers' mental health. Ridiculous statement of an ignorant new gen 'influencer' (makes you question if they are influencing the right things)

****ing fool. Perhaps he should stick with the avocado toast and kale smoothies.
His point about having some school time dedicated to teaching about mortgages and Brexit is a bad idea tbf

Scrapping history, specifically WW2... I imagine the mental health of those who were liberating the death camps wasn’t too great either!

When I hear someone being dubbed an ‘influencer’ I think ‘unemployed narcissist’.
Original post by fallen_acorns
It would do the youth a lot of good for their mental health to have to learn about how tough past kids had it, and how nice and comfy they have it now.

Why only the youth? You have to be over 80 to have actually lived during these wars and thier aftermath. The parents (and even grandparents lol) of todays youth had it better than their children and grand children in a lot of ways. Boomers got massive economic growth coupled with the growth of the welfare state and public realm and they didn't have to fight in any world wars. The parents of Boomers gave them everything. If you want to get into the generational wars ageing boomers are easily the most entitled, selfish and spoiled generaiton ever to have existed. They ****ed over GenX GenY and GenZ and are basicaly the reason we are leaving the EU and have a stagnating economy.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending