The Student Room Group

Offers with 4 a levels declared

Only in year 12, however I am wondering for top universities including Oxbridge, if I am taking 4 A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography) then what will a typical offer look like?
For example, Cambridge state they require A*, A*, A for maths applicants. If I am taking 4 and got A*, A*, A, and then a B in geography then would I not get accepted? Would the offer from Cambridge say A*, A*, A, A?
I’m not doing great at geography so far and so am worried if I do eventually end up with a B or C (or even worse), then would this jeopardise my chances of getting into a top university?
Reply 1
They might ask for something like A*AAA or AAAA but its best to ask the university for guidance
Original post by Maximus 190
Only in year 12, however I am wondering for top universities including Oxbridge, if I am taking 4 A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography) then what will a typical offer look like?
For example, Cambridge state they require A*, A*, A for maths applicants. If I am taking 4 and got A*, A*, A, and then a B in geography then would I not get accepted? Would the offer from Cambridge say A*, A*, A, A?
I’m not doing great at geography so far and so am worried if I do eventually end up with a B or C (or even worse), then would this jeopardise my chances of getting into a top university?

I'd drop it if I were you. They don't ask for 4 A levels and they won't be impressed if you did more than 3. You won't have an advantage over someone who only did 3! Definitely drop Geography. :rambo:
Original post by Quick-use
I'd drop it if I were you. They don't ask for 4 A levels and they won't be impressed if you did more than 3. You won't have an advantage over someone who only did 3! Definitely drop Geography. :rambo:

Oh I would love that, but firstly I’ve heard/seen that due to the similarity of maths, further maths and physics that many universities don’t find this combination very ‘strong’. So I am wanting to take a forth to ensure I can show that I can handle a heavy workload.
Secondly (although I’m not certain on this) I don’t think my school would allow me to drop it. Everyone taking further maths has to take maths and 2 other courses. However this might just be due to the fact that like 2/3rds of the class drop out of the year further maths course. If I can show I am capable of following it all the way through to the end then maybe they would allow me to drop geography.
Oh I would love that, but firstly I’ve heard/seen that due to the similarity of maths, further maths and physics that many universities don’t find this combination very ‘strong’. So I am wanting to take a forth to ensure I can show that I can handle a heavy workload.
Secondly (although I’m not certain on this) I don’t think my school would allow me to drop it. Everyone taking further maths has to take maths and 2 other courses. However this might just be due to the fact that like 2/3rds of the class drop out of the year further maths course. If I can show I am capable of following it all the way through to the end then maybe they would allow me to drop geography.

You're first point is definitely not true anymore. It used to be true 5+ years ago when Maths + FM equaled 1.5 A level subjects. Now, since the A level reforms both are considered their own A levels. Again, they won't care about you doing an A extra A level and won't consider it impressive. If you really did want to boost your application while doing 3 A levels, then an EPQ might be a good idea. :rambo:
They might exclude one subject explicitly or not include it. This subject will either be normal maths, or geography, I should think. Quite possibly the former...

Idk, if the OP is doing maths in year 12, cambridge might take issue. Though I know of people who had 2 A-level offers, some colleges/subject seemed to like people to take 3 in y13.
(edited 4 years ago)

So generally, they make offers for 3 A levels and just ignore the last one. If you did poorly in geography it probably wouldn't matter as it wouldn't really be part of your offer. However, it is not a bad thing to have and you shouldn't drop it unless you are struggling to keep up with 4 A levels. It will benefit you in the applications process as 4 A levels is better than 3 A levels. I would keep at it until your end of year mocks. If you manage to get high grades across the board I would keep at it.
Original post by _gcx
They might exclude one subject explicitly or not include it.

Idk, if the OP is doing maths in year 12, cambridge might take issue. Though I know of people who had 2 A-level offers, some colleges/subject seemed to like people to take 3 in y13.

I agree! If OP did Maths in Y12 and then just Physics + FM in Y13, Cambridge might take issue. However, if they were sitting Physics, Maths and FM together in Y13 it'd be fine, right? :rambo:
You're first point is definitely not true anymore. It used to be true 5+ years ago when Maths + FM equaled 1.5 A level subjects. Now, that's not the case at all. Again, they won't care about you doing an A extra A level and won't consider it impressive. If you really did want to boost your application while doing 3 A levels, then an EPQ might be a good idea. :rambo:

okay, thank you. I am still not sure whether I would be able to drop geography and as it isn’t really impeding on my other subjects grades currently then I see no reason to ask to drop geography at this time. I will be sure to talk about dropping it after my first year exams at the latest if I am getting poor grades in it still. I am also enjoying the physical geography (half of the course) so it’s not all terrible.

Going back to my original question however, if I did get something like A*, A, A and a C in geography then do you know if I would be less likely to get an offer than without the geography grade entirely. And if so then how significantly would it impede in my competitiveness?
Original post by yankang.qi
However, it is not a bad thing to have and you shouldn't drop it unless you are struggling to keep up with 4 A levels. It will benefit you in the applications process as 4 A levels is better than 3 A levels.

@_gcx Is this true?
I met an undergrad at Cambridge who was offered A*AA there but then the LSE asked for A*AAA I think it really depends
@_gcx Is this true?

I remember talking to an admissions tutor at the open day about this, because I do 4 A levels as well and applying to medicine where it's not really necessary. He said that it won't be a factor they initially look at, but when needing to differentiate candidates it is often a deciding factor and isn't detrimental. Which is why my advice to OP is to only drop if it is hard to keep up on all 4.
@_gcx Is this true?

probably depends. engineering seems to imply so:

It is worth noting, however, that there is a high level of synergy between Maths, Further Maths and Physics. This means that, for students who are taking this combination, offering a fourth A Level allows an applicant to demonstrate both high achievement in Maths and the ability to cope with a demanding workload.

from https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements.
@_gcx Is this true?

From all the advice I’ve ever received, looking at university statements and requirements, and talking to teachers I’m going to say: no

Not true

You need 3 alevels. That’s it. If you do a fourth, and your over all grades suffer because if it, then that’s much less appealing to universities.
So like, someone who has A*A*A is generally seen as better than someone with A* A A B

Even with the same grades, so like : AAA vs AAAA I don’t think it makes much of a difference. If you’re considering oxbridge then the most important thing is to get the really high grades required. In your position, I’d drop one and make sure I get the best possible grades I can in three a levels
I hope this helped and feel free to ask anything else :smile:
Original post by kannmnn
From all the advice I’ve ever received, looking at university statements and requirements, and talking to teachers I’m going to say: no

Not true

You need 3 alevels. That’s it. If you do a fourth, and your over all grades suffer because if it, then that’s much less appealing to universities.
So like, someone who has A*A*A is generally seen as better than someone with A* A A B

Even with the same grades, so like : AAA vs AAAA I don’t think it makes much of a difference. If you’re considering oxbridge then the most important thing is to get the really high grades required. In your position, I’d drop one and make sure I get the best possible grades I can in three a levels
I hope this helped and feel free to ask anything else :smile:

But it is still possible to achieve 4A*, which looks more appealing than 3A*. Particularly in OP's case where they want to apply to Cambridge for Maths, highly competitive.
Looking at admissions statistics in FOI requests, there is a clear difference in acceptance rate of 4 A levels compared to 3 A levels, particularly in STEM subjects.
(edited 4 years ago)
worth mentioning also that cambridge gives 4 a-level offers for natsci
okay, thank you. I am still not sure whether I would be able to drop geography and as it isn’t really impeding on my other subjects grades currently then I see no reason to ask to drop geography at this time. I will be sure to talk about dropping it after my first year exams at the latest if I am getting poor grades in it still. I am also enjoying the physical geography (half of the course) so it’s not all terrible.

Going back to my original question however, if I did get something like A*, A, A and a C in geography then do you know if I would be less likely to get an offer than without the geography grade entirely. And if so then how significantly would it impede in my competitiveness?

If you got A*AAC mocks it is likely you would be predicted A*A*A*B, which is not bad. However, then I would advise you to drop the geography and apply with just the 3A*. For maths, it is unlikely that geography would ever form part of your offer.
Original post by _gcx
worth mentioning also that cambridge gives 4 a-level offers for natsci

The four a level offer at cambridge will always be A*AAA for A*AA courses and A*A*AA for A*A*A courses.
You're first point is definitely not true anymore. It used to be true 5+ years ago when Maths + FM equaled 1.5 A level subjects. Now, since the A level reforms both are considered their own A levels. Again, they won't care about you doing an A extra A level and won't consider it impressive. If you really did want to boost your application while doing 3 A levels, then an EPQ might be a good idea. :rambo:

By the way I think I was referencing this,

‘It is worth noting, however, that there is a high level of synergy between Maths, Further Maths and Physics. This means that, for students who are taking this combination, offering a fourth A Level allows an applicant to demonstrate both high achievement in Maths and the ability to cope with a demanding workload.’

https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

It seems that a forth a level in my case would be preferential, so long as my other 3 a levels aren’t sacrificed in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending