The Student Room Group

Example Essay History AQA

I’m a first year early history student and have gotten a couple marked essays back. Both of them were graded D and I really want to improve. I’m wondering if anyone has any example history A-level essays I could look at to help my structure? I don’t mind if they’re not topic relevant.
Hey I’m currently in year 12 and in my first essay I got a C and I did it at home and spent longer on it then I should have, then in my last essay, which we did in timed conditions I got an A. I think the main thing is definitely quality over quantity(generic but true). My teachers advice for writing essays is
Introduction: Start with a sentence or two about context (make sure it links directly to question), define a word that’s in the question, give the three criteria and then briefly your overall judgement (E.G if you agree/disagree with the statement and generally why)
Evaluative paragraphs: with every argument always try oppose it afterwards by being critical, even if it’s just two sentences and after add a mini paragraph evaluating which of the two arguments is stronger and link this to your overall judgement (few sentences)
Conclusion: combining all the mini personal judgement paragraphs to reinforce the overall judgment and mention the three criteria again. Add a new fact as a bonus.

Try to be specific and keep including facts rather then being too general.

I don’t know if this helps. I’m getting my result for my last essay back tomorrow and handing in a new one. Then doing another on Friday. So if any of them go well I could always send you them.
Reply 2
Original post by Georgiaw1092
Hey I’m currently in year 12 and in my first essay I got a C and I did it at home and spent longer on it then I should have, then in my last essay, which we did in timed conditions I got an A. I think the main thing is definitely quality over quantity(generic but true). My teachers advice for writing essays is
Introduction: Start with a sentence or two about context (make sure it links directly to question), define a word that’s in the question, give the three criteria and then briefly your overall judgement (E.G if you agree/disagree with the statement and generally why)
Evaluative paragraphs: with every argument always try oppose it afterwards by being critical, even if it’s just two sentences and after add a mini paragraph evaluating which of the two arguments is stronger and link this to your overall judgement (few sentences)
Conclusion: combining all the mini personal judgement paragraphs to reinforce the overall judgment and mention the three criteria again. Add a new fact as a bonus.

Try to be specific and keep including facts rather then being too general.

I don’t know if this helps. I’m getting my result for my last essay back tomorrow and handing in a new one. Then doing another on Friday. So if any of them go well I could always send you them.

Thanks ^.^ I hope your result is good tomorrow. History is one heck of a grind
Original post by Lexiloooo
Thanks ^.^ I hope your result is good tomorrow. History is one heck of a grind

Yes I’m sure your grade will improve, if your dedicated it just takes time. The majority of my class got D/E on the first essay so deffo was a shock to the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending