The Student Room Group

Medicine work experience

How many weeks of work experience should I have roughly in hospitals, care homes, etc for an application to medicine?
Original post by Holly624
How many weeks of work experience should I have roughly in hospitals, care homes, etc for an application to medicine?

A lot of the time med schools don’t need a quantity. They do love it when you have had a long term volunteering post, something like a care home or nursing home. They know that some people are in circumstances that make it difficult to get work experience. Though it is worth mentioning that some universities have a form which they use over a personal statement (Manchester is the only one I’m aware of, though there may be others) that give a section that has time scales of any caring roles you’ve had. Just make sure you can talk about your work experience in an interview / personal statement. Reflection of your experience is better than quantity

There isn't really a set amount, however, some universities may have guidance on how much they would like you to have, it really depends where you are thinking of applying too.

Personally I am a current medical applicant and over the last few years have tried to get quite a lot. Some placements may only be a half day in each department but it adds up and gives you a good taste of medicine.

When writing about it in your statement and speaking about it, reflect on your experiences so keep a record of what you did, saw and found interesting, etc.

The medic portal have compiled this, which may help, definitely also look up on the websites of the universities you may be considering as they may have guidance:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/work-experience/medical-school-requirements-medicine-work-experience/

I think there are a few universities that say 2 weeks equivalent of medical related work experience, while somewhere like Edinburgh says they value quality over quantity so it depends.

I think I have like 2 weeks equivalent hospital experience- this is from several placements in different departments and hospitals over a few years though- ranging from half a day to 4 days in each department.

I also volunteered on a dementia project though my school (while in S5) and am currently volunteering with children suffering from Autism.

I would say try to get what you can (some placements take a while to secure and may not come through- happened to me), but look if your universities have specific requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by AfricanDream
There isn't really a set amount, however, some universities may have guidance on how much they would like you to have, it really depends where you are thinking of applying too.

Personally I am a current medical applicant and over the last few years have tried to get quite a lot. Some placements may only be a half day in each department but it adds up and gives you a good taste of medicine.

When writing about it in your statement and speaking about it, reflect on your experiences so keep a record of what you did, saw and found interesting, etc.

The medic portal have compiled this, which may help, definitely also look up on the websites of the universities you may be considering as they may have guidance:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/work-experience/medical-school-requirements-medicine-work-experience/

I think there are a few universities that say 2 weeks equivalent of medical related work experience, while somewhere like Edinburgh says they value quality over quantity so it depends.

I think I have like 2 weeks equivalent hospital experience- this is from several placements in different departments and hospitals over a few years though- ranging from half a day to 4 days in each department.

I also volunteered on a dementia project though my school (while in S5) and am currently volunteering with children suffering from Autism.

I would say try to get what you can (some placements take a while to secure and may not come through- happened to me), but look if your universities have specific requirements.

Thank our this is very helpful
Thank our this is very helpful

Your welcome! I am happy to help, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending