The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
decadence
I dont want to go to derby uni again, and I have no interest in computers.

I think they don't give funding to people who want to do second degrees/similar, regardless of how many years funding they've had.
Reply 21
So basically, you used up your available funding studying a course you don't like at a university you don't want to be at. You're now complaining because you can't get any more funding (despite this being made clear if you bother to look), and calling your HND useless because of it?
Oh dear.
:troll2:
Reply 23
EggCustard
sign up to the second year of study then you will have the loans for those last two years... have you looked at this option as you already have some study experience!
problem solved!

I left school 20 years ago... the Uni's I applied to offered me the option of either doing the masters or go to the 2nd year.. The only other study I've done is two Open Uni courses to help with essay writing!

you've already had some funding - it's not the loans company fault that you want to study again or that you didn't complete your HND (you didn't actually specifiy what happened to the HND)

you just need to look at other options - rather than dwell in self pity and say you've been kicked in the balls... not true at all!

I passed the damn HND in computing which means **** in the real world.

I want to do a degree in something which means something.
Reply 24
g_star_raw_1989
:troll2:

Dont piss me off kid
Reply 25
decadence
I passed the damn HND in computing which means **** in the real world.

I want to do a degree in something which means something.

So if the HND means nothing to you, why did you bother doing it and wasting your years of finance?
Reply 26
cpj1987
So if the HND means nothing to you, why did you bother doing it and wasting your years of finance?

I came from a strict family meaning dropping out was not acceptable.

Nottingham trent didnt see a problem in me doing a computer diploma and then going onto one of there degree courses in finance. It all seems inconsistant and limiting. beside my dad told me that a hnd top up degree doesnt hold its weight against a proper 3-4 year degree.
Reply 27
I need this degree in order to become something in life, do banks do student loans?
decadence
I would pay it all back. But they would rather give the money to convicted terrorists and asylum seeker. Welcome to britain.

I'm quite disappointed I've used up my rep for today already.
decadence
I came from a strict family meaning dropping out was not acceptable.

Nottingham trent didnt see a problem in me doing a computer diploma and then going onto one of there degree courses in finance. It all seems inconsistant and limiting. beside my dad told me that a hnd top up degree doesnt hold its weight against a proper 3-4 year degree.

I've yet to hear anything negative about someone going into a 2nd year of a degree - usually the opposite.
What's wrong with doing 2 years instead of 3?
i started uni in 2000, just got a student loan and had to pay fees, never qualified for any type of grant cos of parental income, anyways, i did 2 years of that and had enough so left it, then took a year out and went back and did a HND, got the student loan, and had to pay the fees, again cos of parental income. Completed the HND and went onto 2nd year of a degree, again, got a student loan and paid the fees myself, progressed into 3rd year same situation regarding loan and fees, then i failed a few modules and had to repeat my 3rd year, by this time i was 25 and qualified as a mature student and got the loan as well as a my fees being paid by the education board and a grant. Howver, being the stupid **** that I am i never completed it, having a full time job and regular income was much more attractive. so now, im pissed of with my job and have applied to a diff university away from home where i have got into 2nd year, I have applied for student finance, but I am seriously *****ing it cos I am scared I will get refused finance. whats the chances of me getting it?
Reply 31
I doubt it very much that you'll get it. I think you get 4 years of support.
yeah thats wat am thinking, but i have had about 6 years of funding from them already. so dunno were i stand at the mo. really want to go away
decadence
I have been refused a student loan, they said they will not give me my first years tuition fee or maintenace grant. I already have 4000 pounds outstanding to pay the student loans company for a previous HND. Now I want to do a degree theyve basically told me to f off.

What can I do?

I love how you are complaining about being refused more debt when you are already heavily in debt. A bit of financial responsibility wouldn't go amiss
Reply 34
4000 aint nothing.

Hell london execs earn that in a week.
Reply 35
Lost all sympathy ? No, he hasn't.
He's lost the "sympathy" if you call it such, of all Guardian/Independent readers certainly. (The council/quango/BBC bunch)
So - this government and the judicial system AREN'T mollycoddling islamic terrorists ? (Abu Qatadah for example ?) And asylum seekers aren't getting preferential treatment ? Free everything to keep you lot happy ? And many of these asylum seekers hurry off to join islamic extremists organizations setting up in unis all over the country - and some of you look the other way and fool yourselves it isn't happening
Happy to waste somebody elses money....Jesus...a job on Radio 4 beckons for you....
decadence
I need this degree in order to become something in life, do banks do student loans?

For the first year of your new degree you will get around £4,500 maintenance loan (instead of £3225 fee loan, £2906 grant and around £3,500 maintenance loan) so you are around £5,000 worse off than someone with not previous study

For years 2 and 3 you will be able to get full funding again

So unless you go into year 2 of a degree the first year is where you will struggle financially

Two banks (co-op and barclays) do 'career development loans' but they are only if you are not able to get funding anywhere else, so you can't apply for that

Basically you are gonna have to come up with a plan to get £5,000 - have you got any family that can lend you anything? You could try asking a bank for a loan but without any income I doubt they will want to lend you anything

If not you are gonna have to defer for a year and work like crazy and save up some cash for 2010/11

Too late now of course (but this may help anyone else reading this thread in your situation) if you didn't like your HND you really should have looked into transferring to a course you did want to do.
suek
Ok so you have had two years' funding for higher education. Student Finance will only give you a max of four. They will be funding two years of your degree.

This is standard policy. They haven't kicked you in the nuts at all.

Have they refused to give you money for the first year at all? You say they refused you a loan but you elaborate by saying they refused the grant. Are you getting any maintenance loan?

Take a year out and fund the first year yourself, anyway, best course.

I believe you can have more than 4 years funding? Isn't it the duration of your course + 1 year - previous years funding.
It is possible to a degree part time in the evening. It took me 4 years. I didn't get any funding either.
drunkenengineer
I believe you can have more than 4 years funding? Isn't it the duration of your course + 1 year - previous years funding.

Spot on.

New Course + 1 Additional Year - Previous Study

As an extreme example a 5 year medicine course with an extra 1 year intercalating would be eligible for 7 years funding.

A large percentage of courses are 3 years long hence the common belief that all students are eligible for four years of funding.

Oh, and previous study years where a student repeated but got funding due to compelling personal reasons (CPR) are ignored.

So a medicine student who failed a year due to a bad illness and then failed another year due to academic reasons could easily get 8 years funding

Latest

Trending

Trending