The Student Room Group

Dissertation Chapter word count?

Does it matter if I have a chapter in my dissertation that's 5,000 words? I'm splitting it into 3, and the other 2 chapters are only 2,000 words. The 5,000 one is going in the middle.

Originally, my first chapter was going to be the longest, but I've rearranged it and now the middle one is basically the background to everything, and it makes more sense to go in this order.

My supervisor said it doesn't really matter that much when we discussed the first chapter being really long, but I haven't been able to see him yet about the new structure.
Original post by Anonymous
Does it matter if I have a chapter in my dissertation that's 5,000 words? I'm splitting it into 3, and the other 2 chapters are only 2,000 words. The 5,000 one is going in the middle.

Originally, my first chapter was going to be the longest, but I've rearranged it and now the middle one is basically the background to everything, and it makes more sense to go in this order.

My supervisor said it doesn't really matter that much when we discussed the first chapter being really long, but I haven't been able to see him yet about the new structure.

Check your regulations/guidelines to see if it specifies chapter lengths. Logically, if you need that many words to express what you need, then it should be fine. Make it a priority to see your supervisor about the new structure though.
Reply 2
Should be fine
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

As your replies have already said, read your dissertation guidelines to check if you have limits for each chapter, if not then your middle chapter should be ok, but you should definitely check with your supervisor as soon as possible about the new structure.

Fi :horse:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending