The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Foundation year

I haven’t got the UCAS points to get onto an average uni course, any advice or recommendations on what course to take? I studied teaching at college.
Original post by TheArcher
I haven’t got the UCAS points to get onto an average uni course, any advice or recommendations on what course to take? I studied teaching at college.

Hi there!

It really all depends on how many UCAS points you do have. I can only speak for Liverpool Hope University but feel free to use this as an example for you to go ahead and do your research as to where to want to study.

If you didn't have the UCAS points for an undergraduate degree at Hope we would ask that you had at least 72 UCAS points to do a foundation year or a degree with foundation year. A foundation year can be taken in a varied amount of subjects - perhaps you would do a foundation year in Education or Childhood and Youth.

Different universities offer different opportunities for those who haven't obtained the amount of UCAS points needed to go straight into a degree, its all about doing your research and finding whats best for you.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by TheArcher

Hi @TheArcher,

As @Liverpool Hope University said, one of your possible next moves is to take a foundation year before entering onto the full degree. It's also true that it is worth looking around to find a course that suits you. For example, at Winchester our courses start at 48 UCAS points for a foundation year, so it does vary by Institution.

Alternatively, you could also look into completing an Access to HE course before taking a degree. This website has lots of information about the course and also, a search function where you can find course options that are close to you currently. However, it is always worth checking with the admissions department of your chosen university that they will accept the Access course before undertaking it.

Let me know if you need any help, or have any questions!

Luke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending