The Student Room Group

16 year olds in Year 10?

Hi, iI have recently moved to London and am in a difficult position. I am about to turn 16 in January and I have lived in South Africa for a while and left a couple months into grade 10 there at the end of March. To keep it short, my options are either Year 10 or Year 11 but it seems quite likely that I will have to go into year 10 (because of the curriculum change and the grade I am in) which I feel will be quite hard considering the age difference. I am wondering if it common in London for 16 years to be in Year 10?? Thanks for your help.
Original post by WJ200154
Hi, iI have recently moved to London and am in a difficult position. I am about to turn 16 in January and I have lived in South Africa for a while and left a couple months into grade 10 there at the end of March. To keep it short, my options are either Year 10 or Year 11 but it seems quite likely that I will have to go into year 10 (because of the curriculum change and the grade I am in) which I feel will be quite hard considering the age difference. I am wondering if it common in London for 16 years to be in Year 10?? Thanks for your help.

It’s not common, but It’s not unheard of. The age difference is minimal so you’ll definitely make friends if you try. I would definitely recommend going into year 10 as year 11 is very stressful with GCSE’s, in year 10 you just need to revise for end of topic tests and that’s it. Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Alright, thanks so much for your help!!
Original post by WJ200154

Hi, I can't help directly with your question, however, I was in a similar position to you almost 5 years ago. I moved to Scotland from South Africa after finishing my first term in Grade 10 (we only did first term that year but flew to the UK in May) while my sister was already 18 years old in Grade 12. There are major differences between the Scottish and South African curriculum and I am sure it is the same for the English and South African Curriculum, honestly I wouldn't worry about any age difference, e.g. because the British School year starts in August/September rather then January as in South Africa, my sister was actually 19 years old when she graduated as she was 18 when we moved and turned 19 the April just before formal graduation and exams.

So I wouldn't worry about age too much- I was one of the older students in my year. It was better to have the extra time to adjust to the curriculum, school and people, etc then to have rushed in. It was definitely a difficult transition, but we never regretted our decision to come here, the positives far out way any negatives we experience or experienced. Do you mind me asking if you moved to the UK on a Visa or whether you have a British passport?
i know someone who moved from india to the uk, and they're in year 11 rn when they should be in yr 12. don't think it makes much of a difference in the end, and some people wont even realise that you're older :smile: but ofc the situation will vary for everyone
Happened to few people in my school. It made minimal difference
Yes, in my school there were 16 year olds in year 10 and 18 year olds in year 12 due to coming in from another country. It's the much better alternative to going to year 11 directly and sitting important exams.

Quick Reply

Latest