The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theres a course called an NPLQ which lasts a week and will cost you about £200. If you're lucky an employer will pay for it or part of it. You wont earn much more than any other part time job. About £4,50-£6 per hour for part timers at gyms and leisure centres but private work where you wont get as much work will probably give £10 per hour ish.
Reply 2
shadowrow
theres a course called an NPLQ which lasts a week and will cost you about £200. If you're lucky an employer will pay for it or part of it. You wont earn much more than any other part time job. About £4,50-£6 per hour for part timers at gyms and leisure centres but private work where you wont get as much work will probably give £10 per hour ish.

But am I right in thinking it's less competitive because you need a qualification? When I asked at my local leisure centre they said lifeguards could pretty much state what hours they wanted to work and were given them.
jonnyofengland
But am I right in thinking it's less competitive because you need a qualification? When I asked at my local leisure centre they said lifeguards could pretty much state what hours they wanted to work and were given them.

Yep I'd say that's true, all the leisure centres in my area are always looking for lifeguards and it's casual ie you can choose when you work (within reason obviously...if everyone wants to work sunday for example you might not get the shift you want, but its pretty flexible where I work).

Shadowrow is right, the qualification is the NPLQ, its about £200 and lasts to years. You might be able to get an employer to pay for some of it the first time, I didn't, but they will almost defo pay for you to re-take the test after the 2 years is up, as long as you go to staff training. Being a lifeguard isn't bad at all as a part time job, very flexible, I used to work pretty much full time in the holidays and once or twice a week during term time. I'm doing it full time atm, not quite so good, but I get to live in the south of france so who cares!
Reply 4
mrs_bellamy
Yep I'd say that's true, all the leisure centres in my area are always looking for lifeguards and it's casual ie you can choose when you work (within reason obviously...if everyone wants to work sunday for example you might not get the shift you want, but its pretty flexible where I work).

Shadowrow is right, the qualification is the NPLQ, its about £200 and lasts to years. You might be able to get an employer to pay for some of it the first time, I didn't, but they will almost defo pay for you to re-take the test after the 2 years is up, as long as you go to staff training. Being a lifeguard isn't bad at all as a part time job, very flexible, I used to work pretty much full time in the holidays and once or twice a week during term time. I'm doing it full time atm, not quite so good, but I get to live in the south of france so who cares!

Do you have to take it every two years, or is it just a once check up?
I have NPLQ, but have never followed it up.. i think it outdates like all first-aid qualifications.
jonnyofengland
Do you have to take it every two years, or is it just a once check up?

Yep you have to take it every two years, but as long as you go to staff training and do a total of 20 hrs training throughout the 2 yrs (quite easy to do, just go training once a month, its usually pretty fun) you only have to take the exam, not the whole course, and your employer should organise this.
Reply 7
im doing it this week in fact- 200 quid well worth it!
Reply 8
I've only paid £65 for it! It's so easy! Got the exam on Saturday; should be fun...
Reply 9
ive got it on sunday- my mate is comin in to be a spinal casualty! :lol:

mine cost £175 grr......
Reply 10
I am going to have to re-take mine shortly. I didn't pay for mine either (not as good as a person on my course who actually got paid for it). As far as pay goes, I have seen people earning £8/hour, and as little as less than £5/hour, it all depends on where you go. For the majority of the time, lifeguards can do all the hours they like (I have done in excess of 80 hour weeks), but managers tend not to like gaps in the rotas, so hire more lifeguards.
Reply 11
living in Crewe and Nantwich, i can tell you that theres a waiting list to work the pools, so i cant see myself being employed anytime soon....
Reply 12
It might be that they are more strapped for staff when the students go back to uni/school. That's what normally happens.
Reply 13
then again, they need more staff in summer to cope with the influx of people.

I PASSED! woop!
Reply 14
Richiboi

I PASSED! woop!

DO you mind if I ask what you do during the test?
Reply 15
split into 4 sections : Theory, CPR, Pool and First Aid.

Theory: Questions on pool operations, scanning, and such like. Easy, especially if your assesor is laid back, ours werent strict at all.

CPR: Resuscitation on manikins. Learn it, as its possibly the most important thing to learn.

Pool: Where you do your timed swims, retrieving a manikin from the deepest part of your pool ( which becomes the maximum depth pool you can work in i think- for me its 2.75 metres), rescues and spinal injury management- thats the second most important thing to learn.

First Aid- Self explanatory- they'll tell you to respond to a first aid situation, do a secondary assesment of a casualty, and answer a bunch of questions. Again, the more laid back the assesor is, the easier theyll make it for you.

Nothing's too difficult if your memory is half decent. The main things you need to be careful with are CPR and the spinal work, they are the most severe things, and so to be assesed as competent, you need to treat it as such.

Sorry for the detail. Any more questions, feel free to ask!
Reply 16
Richiboi
split into 4 sections : Theory, CPR, Pool and First Aid.

Theory: Questions on pool operations, scanning, and such like. Easy, especially if your assesor is laid back, ours werent strict at all.

CPR: Resuscitation on manikins. Learn it, as its possibly the most important thing to learn.

Pool: Where you do your timed swims, retrieving a manikin from the deepest part of your pool ( which becomes the maximum depth pool you can work in i think- for me its 2.75 metres), rescues and spinal injury management- thats the second most important thing to learn.

First Aid- Self explanatory- they'll tell you to respond to a first aid situation, do a secondary assesment of a casualty, and answer a bunch of questions. Again, the more laid back the assesor is, the easier theyll make it for you.

Nothing's too difficult if your memory is half decent. The main things you need to be careful with are CPR and the spinal work, they are the most severe things, and so to be assesed as competent, you need to treat it as such.

Sorry for the detail. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

One more thing. This sounds stupid, but would you be allowed to wear goggles in the pool? I wear contact lenses, and as such I can't keep my eyes open underwater without them swimming away... :frown:
Reply 17
jonnyofengland
Thanks!

One more thing. This sounds stupid, but would you be allowed to wear goggles in the pool? I wear contact lenses, and as such I can't keep my eyes open underwater without them swimming away... :frown:

I think it depends entirely on the examiner, some will let you, some won't. I prefer not too, as if you are actually needed to go in on shift, you won't be waring goggles. I would train as if you weren't, and if they let you, then all the better.
Reply 18
exactly what i would suggest- it was the first week i swam without them- a guy on my course had a problem with chlorine, which hurt, so he wore gogs for the 5 days training, then took them off for the assesment. obviously, your situation is different, so apart from training with naked eyes, i dont see anything else i could suggest, apart from maybe looking for waterproof contacts? i dont know wether they exist or not :biggrin:
You're not supposed to wear goggles for the test, because you obv won't be wearing them at work. You can work in a pool deeper than the one you took you test in, but you have to be tested before you start to make sure you can get a casualty of the bottom of the deeper pool. My NPLQ runs out in feb, I can't decide if I should re-take it, this would be the third time and I really hate being a lifeguard. It's easy and flexible though, I've got a job at home that I can go back to whenever I want so its seems stupid not to. I'm so fed up of it though after 3.5 years! Especially cos I'm full time atm, and we usually do 2hrs on pool, sometimes longer (not allowed I know), then 20 min cleaning, then back on poolside again. And its 35 degrees so its a killer. Outdoor pools are horrible, I miss working in a leisure centre! I've got a good tan though. Sorry this has turned into an irrelevant ramble. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending