The Student Room Group

BTEC Applied Science - Unit 1 Principles and Applications of Science January 2020

Scroll to see replies

How did the last two exams for unit 5 go for whoever done them
probs got 27- 35 Mark's on physics
30-35 Mark's on chem
so went pretty well
I finished 10 min early on both
dk if it was a bad thing but we will see in march
that biology paper with the aldosterone was stupid.
Original post by MysticQueen
that biology paper with the aldosterone was stupid.

i revising for unit 5. is that even in the speication?
Original post by AngelGamerXx
i revising for unit 5. is that even in the speication?

aldosterone is on I think but we was told to revise what it does and not how it was made. this is all part of the kidneys.
aldosterone is on I think but we was told to revise what it does and not how it was made. this is all part of the kidneys.

ah ok thanks for that.
yh that probs wont be on the next exam. But anyone who sat the unit 5 did you find it hard?
yh that probs wont be on the next exam. But anyone who sat the unit 5 did you find it hard?

Chem went well, but bio and physics not so much, might have to resit in may...what about you?
Original post by THEcraybeAst76
Chem went well, but bio and physics not so much, might have to resit in may...what about you?

thought the resit was in june.

if I get an M I'm going to try and push for an early finish so I dont have to sit the exam.

I found it relatively easy counted how much I think I got on each paper which is like 27-35 Mark's on each but I can be wrong.
and that's me being hard on myself an deducted Mark's on if I wasnt sure and purely guessed.
if i get a D i would be ecstatic because I hardly revised properly.
thought the resit was in june.

if I get an M I'm going to try and push for an early finish so I dont have to sit the exam.

I found it relatively easy counted how much I think I got on each paper which is like 27-35 Mark's on each but I can be wrong.
and that's me being hard on myself an deducted Mark's on if I wasnt sure and purely guessed.
if i get a D i would be ecstatic because I hardly revised properly.

How many marks are in total for unit 5? I doing revision on the heart right now as I got it in June (yes very early revision) 🤣🤣. also I really hate the heart tbh.

hopefully I get either a M or D

Did you both do unit 7? as I did that last week
(edited 4 years ago)
How many marks are in total for unit 5? I doing revision on the heart right now as I got it in June (yes very early revision) 🤣🤣. also I really hate the heart tbh.

hopefully I get either a M or D

Did you both do unit 7? as I did that last week

I did unit 7 last week I think I done well on it. I'll be pissed and confused if I get a M.

also the papers are out of 40 which totals up to 120.

last year Mark's for D is 70/120
M is like 50%
P is like getting 7-10 Mark's on each paper so 30/120
but it weighs heavy on the overall grade.
so my predicted grade will drop 1 grade as I'm predicted 3 D*
I did unit 7 last week I think I done well on it. I'll be pissed and confused if I get a M.

also the papers are out of 40 which totals up to 120.

last year Mark's for D is 70/120
M is like 50%
P is like getting 7-10 Mark's on each paper so 30/120
but it weighs heavy on the overall grade.
so my predicted grade will drop 1 grade as I'm predicted 3 D*

Ah ok thank you so much. I using this Excel spreadsheet and I most likely get D*DD if I get merits on exams and D on assignment.

I also did unit 7 last week. I never want to talk about diesel engines anymore 🤣🤣. Found it pretty good and hopefully it's a distinction. thankfully I can retake it if I want.
Ah ok thank you so much. I using this Excel spreadsheet and I most likely get D*DD if I get merits on exams and D on assignment.

I also did unit 7 last week. I never want to talk about diesel engines anymore 🤣🤣. Found it pretty good and hopefully it's a distinction. thankfully I can retake it if I want.

Hey what grades did you get last year for unit 1?
Original post by Didilala

i got a merit. idk how many marks as I ask my tutor and doesn't have them. I got a feeling I was fairly close to distinction but idk.
(edited 4 years ago)
i got a merit. idk how many marks as I ask my tutor and doesn't have them. I got a feeling I was fairly close to distinction but idk.

Do you think that year 1 exams were harder than year 2?

the grade boundaries are all online
just search
btec Pearson grade boundaries june 2019 and search the for the unit through that doc.

I got a distinction on the first sitting so I can say exact
but I aimed for 22 Mark's on each paper to get a D

but got 59/90 just hit it in january

EDIT:
just realised what you meant. I need to sleep.
(edited 4 years ago)

lol cant delete messages on phones
(edited 4 years ago)

hmm hard to say as I haven't done unit 5 yet. but I would say yeah it's harder as the content is harder, however it's not too hard. I did my first practice paper and it didn't really go the best. but that because it was like last minute decision and we only just learnt about the content. hope this helps.
Original post by James1908
Hello everyone! Who else is preparing for the Unit 1 Principles and Applications of Science exam? Feel free to discuss how you are preparing for the exam, predications of what will come up on the exam, and please share any revision resources that might help. The exam dates for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are below:
Unit 1 Biology: 14/01/2020 PM Unit 1 Chemistry: 15/01/2020 AM Unit 1 Physics: 15/01/2020 PM

hi I’m in year 12 now I wanted to know what topics will come for unit 1 and 3 it would be really great thanks
Original post by Salma1723
hi I’m in year 12 now I wanted to know what topics will come for unit 1 and 3 it would be really great thanks

It been about a year since I did the course, however you search up "BTEC applied science spec" then it will give you the whole spec. it was a life saver for me.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/applied-science-2016.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending