The Student Room Group

Stuck between Lancaster and Exeter and have to choose ASAP!

I'm a mature student who's coming off a gap year to study law. I've received unconditional from Lancaster (for their law Clinical Learning degree), Exeter and Leicester (but not choosing Leicester!), a conditional from Birmingham and waiting on Durham (2 months later...).

I know I want Lancaster and Exeter as my two main chores but I don't know which one would be the best! I like Lancaster because the degree option is so different, and speaking to firms, they told me that they like those who do a different degree, and the extra clinic work attached to it made them excited. However it's not as well known and I worry I'll not be seen as a viable applicant for training contracts as a result.
However, speaking to people who have been or are at Exeter now, they seem to really like it, and I can see a lot more emphasis on disability aid there (Autistic here), which I need, BUT I don't want to have to apply for the law clinic and risk the continual rejection if I'm not good enough to work in their one.

Can anyone who is currently at Lancaster or Exeter, can you please give me your honest truths about the universities and why you think they are good or bad? I know Exeter had that whole law society racism scandal, but I don't know that sort of thing about Lancaster (if there is anything like that).

I want to send off my decisions as to firm and insurance by the end of this month, so anything you have to say would be amazing!!
Original post by PlantsGalore74
I'm a mature student who's coming off a gap year to study law. I've received unconditional from Lancaster (for their law Clinical Learning degree), Exeter and Leicester (but not choosing Leicester!), a conditional from Birmingham and waiting on Durham (2 months later...).

I know I want Lancaster and Exeter as my two main chores but I don't know which one would be the best! I like Lancaster because the degree option is so different, and speaking to firms, they told me that they like those who do a different degree, and the extra clinic work attached to it made them excited. However it's not as well known and I worry I'll not be seen as a viable applicant for training contracts as a result.
However, speaking to people who have been or are at Exeter now, they seem to really like it, and I can see a lot more emphasis on disability aid there (Autistic here), which I need, BUT I don't want to have to apply for the law clinic and risk the continual rejection if I'm not good enough to work in their one.

Can anyone who is currently at Lancaster or Exeter, can you please give me your honest truths about the universities and why you think they are good or bad? I know Exeter had that whole law society racism scandal, but I don't know that sort of thing about Lancaster (if there is anything like that).

I want to send off my decisions as to firm and insurance by the end of this month, so anything you have to say would be amazing!!

Firstly, you don't need to choose ASAP - you have months to decide and you definitely shouldn't rush into a decision you may later regret. You haven't even heard back from Durham yet and you should have all your responses back before making firm decisions.

Secondly, the degree at Lancaster is not that different - it just includes some work experience that most people organise themselves during a Law degree anyway - it is very common for Law students to do voluntary work at their uni Law clinic or via CAB. I'm not saying the course at Lancaster is bad but you could easily organise this sort of experience on a normal LLB, whether that be at Lancs or Exeter. Unis are not likely to reject their own law students from working in their law clinic - they want you to gain useful skills and experience to enhance your employability.

Thirdly, the Exeter Law scandal is old news - it was a small group of students who are no longer at the uni and not representative of most students there. Every uni has good and bad people - just like school - that is not a factor that you should be worrying about. If you are worried about a lack of ethnic diversity at Exeter that is a fair point - but the same could equally be said of Durham and Lancaster.

What it boils down to is this. Wait until you have heard back from Durham and then choose the uni you like the best, no need to worry about which course offers better employability. If they are all LLB courses they will be viewed widely the same by employers and the grades you achieve on the course and how well you can demonstrate your suitability for Law will be the most important factors in gaining training contracts. As you are so undecided between two unis I would advise you not to rush into a decision but to attend Applicant days at both and think hard about which location you prefer and which one you feel more comfortable at :smile:
Original post by PlantsGalore74

Hello,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster so let me know if you have any questions at all. I just want to mention the disability aid here as you mentioned it.
I'm a volunteer for the transitions team and I work as a mentor. What this means is that lots of first year students, some of which have autism, sign up to have a 'transition mentor'. I meet up with my mentees once a week to basically check up on them! So I've helped them with flat issues, applying for second/third year accommodation, provided some company, played table tennis... etc. This is something that could help you! There's also a dedicated transitions team which run events to provide support for any student who might be struggling to transition into university life.
Good luck with making your decision and let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending