The Student Room Group

Feeling hopeless, final year

I'm in third year doing a combined law course (finish with an LLB), I got 65% in my first year, but ended 2nd year on 52% (It was a complete shock, I thought at the very least I'd be getting maybe 59?). It completely demoralised me and has basically made me spiral academically since.

I'm starting the second semester of my final year, and have put maximum effort into my work, I just got some marks back - and they were good (66.5); but not great - I needed a first or a high 2.1.
I haven't submitted for mitigating circumstances (I should have, I suffer from anxiety and depression, my immediate family was made homeless, and someone else from my immediate family is terminally ill).

I wanted to do a masters, then a PHD, and become a lecturer. I am looking for some success stories or some words of encouragement. It's quite likely I am going to get a 2:2 at this point (which I really can't believe, it's literally haunting me) I feel like this will shut so many doors.
Reply 1
i think you need to sit down with your personal tutor asap and lay out all your cards on the table. find out exactly what you need to do to graduate with a 2:1 and if there's any additional support that may be put in place. can your personal tutor meet with you regularly? do you have additional exam support in place for your anxiety/depression? are you maximising your potential in the modules you're taking this semester or can/should you switch to something that maybe you are more likely to ace? if you finish your degree with a 58, do you actually get bumped to a 2:1?

i also have long-term anxiety/depression. the 'not knowing' and guessing about things is the worst, but when you know concrete things you feel more empowered and can carry on. also, do not worry about master, PhD and all that stuff. you just need to get through one assignment at a time (i know easier said than done).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
i think you need to sit down with your personal tutor asap and lay out all your cards on the table. find out exactly what you need to do to graduate with a 2:1 and if there's any additional support that may be put in place. can your personal tutor meet with you regularly? do you have additional exam support in place for your anxiety/depression? are you maximising your potential in the modules you're taking this semester or can/should you switch to something that maybe you are more likely to ace? if you finish your degree with a 58, do you actually get bumped to a 2:1?

i also have long-term anxiety/depression. the 'not knowing' and guessing about things is the worst, but when you know concrete things you feel more empowered and can carry on. also, do not worry about master, PhD and all that stuff. you just need to get through one assignment at a time (i know easier said than done).

thanks for your reply. I've already been to my tutor who's response was pretty much - work hard. I think I'm going to go to my individual teachers and lay the cards out on the table and basically ask them what I need to do to get a 2:1.
Hi,

I’m sorry to hear about your struggles.

Your grades are good! 66.5 classes as a high 2:1 at my uni!

I think the key will be to work out your best way of revising; is it flash cards or big diagrams or re writing the lectures? If you find your best way it will make your revision time more productive.

If you do end up with a 2:2 and feel disappointed, try not to let it discourage where you apply for a job. A lot of jobs will ask if there were any mitigating circumstances when you fill out your grades and so you could put that there were!

You sound very motivated and I am sure that it will shine through on applications- grades are not everything! Extra curricular, work experience etc are all factors that employers will consider.

I wish you all the best,
Tasha :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending