The Student Room Group

is gcse history a facilitating subject????

should i risk my other subjects such as maths and eng for history plz someone help
Original post by jenkokie
should i risk my other subjects such as maths and eng for history plz someone help

History is what was called a facilitating subject but this term has now been withdrawn by the Russell Group who used it. The argument about taking faciltating subjects has now been withdrawn by the Russell Group. Take subjects you enjoy instead. I attach the RG current advice on the subject from their informed choices booklet.

The Russell Group previously published a list of subjects which can be particularly useful for pupils who aren’t sure what to study at university. These subjects are considered essential for many degrees and so can open lots of doors.

Now that we have created our new Informed Choices website, it is no longer necessary to publish such a list. Here you can explore the various degrees and subject areas you’re interested in as many as you like to build up a more personalised picture of the subject combinations which suit your talents and ambitions.

We have sometimes heard other people suggest that facilitating subjects are the only subjects pupils should consider to get into a Russell Group university, or that you must take them for any degree. This has never been the case.

To find out more about how different subject combinations can prepare you for different courses, read more about the degree courses you could study

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/subjects
Reply 2
thank you so much. my teacher said history was a good subject as it showcases that i have personal skills and opens many doors. however i dont think i would advance further into history in the future. i am not sure about a level hsitory history
The notion of "facilitating subject" only applies to A-level (or equivalent) subjects, wherein it refers to a subject which is a required prerequisite for one or more subjects at degree level (most history degrees require you to have taken A-level History). It doesn't make sense to apply it to GCSEs, and many 6th forms don't require you to have taken GCSE History to take A-level (or IB etc) History.

As above, I've never known any institution - academic or professional - to care about what GCSE subjects you did, outside of minimally GCSE Maths and English Language (core subjects, national literacy/numeracy targets) or for some university courses, GCSE Science (double award or triple science). Pick whatever you find most interesting and/or enjoyable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending