The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A*A* student

Ask me any questions you like with regards to grades, studying, University. I am really quite bored of my studies at the moment and need a small break. I feel I might be able to help some people so ask away

Scroll to see replies

How much time a day did you / do you spend studying?
Original post by Itsmepoppy
How much time a day did you / do you spend studying?

During A-levels: depends, I would probably study quite a lot, whenever I wasn't doing anything. I wasn't too into TV or anything like that. Especially around exam time I would put in 6-10 hours a day probably.

10 would be a very good day when I am really into my work.

I would say most important thing is probably consistency across the year. A little bit regularly - as in every day
Reply 3
When did you start properly studying for your A levels ( as in doing more than a little bit each day) ?
Reply 4
which subjects were they in and what do you study now?
Original post by MFTV
When did you start properly studying for your A levels ( as in doing more than a little bit each day) ?

I would say - I was revising consistently throughout the year e.g. before a mock test or a module test I would prepare seriously like spend a fully day revising and then, say around March I really stepped up my game and made sure I was doing work a lot more deliberately every day with lots of exam questions etc...
Did you do all 5 A-levels at the same time?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by leahnj
which subjects were they in and what do you study now?

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History and a politics EPQ

I study Medicine now :smile:
Original post by HumblyBumbly

Wow! Good for you! :smile:
Reply 9

wow goals! which studying techniques did you find the most effective?

How do you motivate / discipline yourself to actually sit down and start working?

Any tips? :smile:

So FOUR A levels - isn't the title a bit misleading?

When did you take your A levels?
Original post by leahnj
wow goals! which studying techniques did you find the most effective?

I would say it depends on the subject

For biology and chemistry very similar: go through a module, do questions from legacy papers even relating to that module and there are lots of sites that split the questions into modules e.g. physics and maths tutor. A level chem revise was great too. I made sure I understood the concepts thoroughly. It isn;t enough to know them in class. You need to be able to explain it to other people and that's something I used to do. I used to talk to people all the time about things and sometimes go beyond the specification. Even now doing medicine on weekends I will meet with friends and discuss pathophysiology of diseases etc... I will try to do the teaching whenever I can. It helps me think and get my head around things.

Then maths my method was always: questions in textbook, all of them and then ... past papers , past papers, past papers.

History is reading and practicing essays.

I would say since A-levels I have adopted new methods e.g. using Anki and working with others to practice stuff (v. important in medicine)
I think sometimes it is hard to keep motivated, but it is just a case of getting into habits. Sometimes a change of atmosphere or working with a friend (making sure you are focused) can give you an extra bit of energy. I wouldn't work with others too often though. Revise in a way you find enjoyable e.g. I like doing questions and forcing myself to think. :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
So FOUR A levels - isn't the title a bit misleading?

When did you take your A levels?

Yes - I was aware I should have done a small a* for the final letter after I posted. That is a fair point and I should have been more careful.

Congrats!
why medicine? Did you consider anything else if so what?
Original post by mnot
Congrats!
why medicine? Did you consider anything else if so what?

Yeah I actually considered History and PPE for a while. I was pretty set on doing History until around August of AS!!
During A-levels: depends, I would probably study quite a lot, whenever I wasn't doing anything. I wasn't too into TV or anything like that. Especially around exam time I would put in 6-10 hours a day probably.

10 would be a very good day when I am really into my work.

I would say most important thing is probably consistency across the year. A little bit regularly - as in every day

Thanks for your response, congrats for your grades btw :smile: Did you have a revision timetable? I have been trying to have a revision timetable, and saying I'll do maths then, english then. However I'm wondering if it's best to have aims for the day? Ie complete X for maths and Y for English. But it's hard to gauge how long things will take
Yeah I actually considered History and PPE for a while. I was pretty set on doing History until around August of AS!!

Wow thats quite late to make the switch, what made you choose medicine on UCAS.
I think sometimes it is hard to keep motivated, but it is just a case of getting into habits. Sometimes a change of atmosphere or working with a friend (making sure you are focused) can give you an extra bit of energy. I wouldn't work with others too often though. Revise in a way you find enjoyable e.g. I like doing questions and forcing myself to think. :smile:

Yes - I was aware I should have done a small a* for the final letter after I posted. That is a fair point and I should have been more careful.

So you did modular A levels then? Four linear A levels are much more work and need different exam technique.
Original post by Itsmepoppy
Thanks for your response, congrats for your grades btw :smile: Did you have a revision timetable? I have been trying to have a revision timetable, and saying I'll do maths then, english then. However I'm wondering if it's best to have aims for the day? Ie complete X for maths and Y for English. But it's hard to gauge how long things will take

I have tried revision timetables they never really work for me. It isn't really my personality to use them. I am more a free-flower and like going with what I am feeling that day. But what I have always done is have checklists of things I need to cover and those prioritise what I do e.g. my one currently lists a number of diseases I want to read up on and some examinations I want to practice so over this weekend i will try to tick them off if not it will get carried over to Monday. I would say just find something that works for you. I really don't think there is a one size fits all. Some people use very different study methods to me and it works for them, when I have tried them they don't work as well for me.

Quick Reply

Latest