The Student Room Group

RAF - Medical fail

I applied for the raf and just had my medical and failed because I'm HIV positive. I was born with it from my mom and have been treated ever since I was a baby. My viral load is undetectable and my CD4 is within normal range. I take just one tablet a day but I've always been asymptomatic and never had any issues with my condition.
All my doctors and nurses said that they didn't think I'd have an issue joining the raf with my condition, hence why I went ahead with the application. I know it states in the criteria that it's a fail if you have any blood borne viruses, but I always thought being treated and undetectable would be acceptable. Carrying my pills around in a small blisters pack is no more than carrying my tampons and pads when I'm on my period if I was in an extreme environment like I would be in the raf.

I really dont know if I should appeal it as I thought it would be based on a person to person case rather being told that I failed automatically irrespective of my viral load. It's quite upsetting but I'd like some insight on whether I'm just being silly amd should just accept it or I should appeal or something. I'm really torn on what to do with myself. I should also state that I'm applying as a registered nurse. As advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kinkyb
I applied for the raf and just had my medical and failed because I'm HIV positive. I was born with it from my mom and have been treated ever since I was a baby. My viral load is undetectable and my CD4 is within normal range. I take just one tablet a day but I've always been asymptomatic and never had any issues with my condition.
All my doctors and nurses said that they didn't think I'd have an issue joining the raf with my condition, hence why I went ahead with the application. I know it states in the criteria that it's a fail if you have any blood borne viruses, but I always thought being treated and undetectable would be acceptable. Carrying my pills around in a small blisters pack is no more than carrying my tampons and pads when I'm on my period if I was in an extreme environment like I would be in the raf.

I really dont know if I should appeal it as I thought it would be based on a person to person case rather being told that I failed automatically irrespective of my viral load. It's quite upsetting but I'd like some insight on whether I'm just being silly amd should just accept it or I should appeal or something. I'm really torn on what to do with myself. I should also state that I'm applying as a registered nurse. As advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If you've got any condition that requires treatment on a permanent basis there's pretty much no way you'll be able to join any of the armed forces - they can't guarantee that they'll always be able to get your medication to you.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any point in appealing.
Original post by Kinkyb

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Unfortunately if you've a condition that classes you as permanently medically unfit then there isn't really anything you can do. The only successful appeal would be likely if your medical records or condition was an error on your records, for instance. It is why the medical is part of the application process for all of the armed forces, to make sure that you're medically fit to be able to do full service, including deployment etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 3
Hi Adam.

We think our daughter is high functioning ASD. No formal diagnosis has been sought yet, but she would like to have one. GCSE and A level results were A*s, A's,and B's, including maths, sciences, and languages.

She has no physical infirmities and enjoys rugged outdoor activities.

Do you think the RAF would consider her application ?

cheers
Clive
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CPNBates
Hi Adam.

We think our daughter is high functioning ASD. No formal diagnosis has been sought yet, but she would like to have one. GCSE and A level results were A*s, A's,and B's, including maths, sciences, and languages.

She has no physical infirmities and enjoys rugged outdoor activities.

Do you think the RAF would consider her application ?

cheers
Clive

Don't invent diagnoses. Either she's diagnosed or she isn't.

The RAF will consider everyone's application, up until the point they deem the application failed, then they will advise why and what your next steps are.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Don't invent diagnoses. Either she's diagnosed or she isn't.

The RAF will consider everyone's application, up until the point they deem the application failed, then they will advise why and what your next steps are.

yes, I thought it would be better to wait for the RAF to decide. thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest