The Student Room Group

Student loan question

So I’m planning on taking A-Levels this year as a mature student. The courses that are available for mature students are intensive courses but as I’ve never studied A-level before the college recommended I do 3 As-Levels and then 3 intensive A-Levels.

Am I able to get a loan for both? From what I could see online for A-Levels it says up-to 4 but no mention of As-Levels?

Also, are mature students eligible for maintenance loans in regards to As/A-Levels and if so how much?

Original post by Elohymn
So I’m planning on taking A-Levels this year as a mature student. The courses that are available for mature students are intensive courses but as I’ve never studied A-level before the college recommended I do 3 As-Levels and then 3 intensive A-Levels.

Am I able to get a loan for both? From what I could see online for A-Levels it says up-to 4 but no mention of As-Levels?

Also, are mature students eligible for maintenance loans in regards to As/A-Levels and if so how much?

You can get funding via an advanced leaner loan as long as the provider is on an approved lists of mostly state FE colleges
.Very few colleges do A levels these days.
The other alternative is to do an access to he course, which most unis accept and will be funded.

Why are you doing AS and then A? Most students these days just do 2 year A levels.

So to round it up. I think your first difficulty is finding a place that does A levels which SFE approve of and will fund.
I would think again whether AS levels are worth it, but if you cna find an approved provider then you can get both paid for. In reality expect a tough time.
I dont believe there is any maintenance loan, some of the colleges offer bursaries.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.

I already found a place that is willing to accept me: Westminster kingsway college.

I went in for an interview and they suggested I do As-level for 1 year and then intensive A-Levels for another year.

The reason they suggested this is because the 2 year A-Levels are for school leavers.

I just wanted to make sure I’m covered for both under a loan as that would be 6 courses?

And am I eligible for a maintenance loan? :smile:
Original post by Elohymn
Thanks for the reply.

I already found a place that is willing to accept me: Westminster kingsway college.

I went in for an interview and they suggested I do As-level for 1 year and then intensive A-Levels for another year.

The reason they suggested this is because the 2 year A-Levels are for school leavers.

I just wanted to make sure I’m covered for both under a loan as that would be 6 courses?

And am I eligible for a maintenance loan? :smile:

You should check if westminster kingsway is an approved organisation for ALL.
If they are then you cna apply for AS and A level another year.
Most people dont do AS these days because they dont count for anything really.
No idea what they are talking about 2 year A levels being just for school leavers.

It would be 2 loans of 3.
No maintenance loan as far as I know and I said in my first post.
Reply 4
That makes no sense at all.
I don't have time to respond fully but it sounds like your being given the wrong advice.

You are not entitled to any maintenance loan.
I'm not even sure you would get full funding for your A-levels ontop of your as-levels.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to student finance and I think you are right about the maintenance loan.

However, they told me that as long as the As-levels and the A-levels are a progression of the same subjects and were given as a 'package' by the college, then I would be entitled to have them all covered.

Just an update :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending