The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University Interview Maths Test

I recently got invited to an interview at Nottingham University to study the Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation year with a Physics Bsc. After reading through the email I noticed it mentioned about having to take a small test that will cover topics from higher GCSE Maths, it’s been well over 5 years since I did my GCSE's so I'm a little nervous about this but still fully prepared to study. Has anyone been through this recently? If so, what Maths topics tend to show up the most? Thanks!
Original post by QuantumC1ockwork
I recently got invited to an interview at Nottingham University to study the Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation year with a Physics Bsc. After reading through the email I noticed it mentioned about having to take a small test that will cover topics from higher GCSE Maths, it’s been well over 5 years since I did my GCSE's so I'm a little nervous about this but still fully prepared to study. Has anyone been through this recently? If so, what Maths topics tend to show up the most? Thanks!

I would say relative to the standards of maths in a physics degree, GCSE maths will be fairly trivial so if it has been a long time since you've done this maths its probably a good excuse to shack off the rust.

Im sure you'll be fine, just maybe do some GCSE past paper questions to warm up to it again, you may need to recap a couple things but with a little bit of reflection im sure you'll be fine!

I suspect the foundation course is designed in such a way that it will pick up from GCSE maths so will probably focus on (but dont worry about this for now):
-Calculus & ODEs
-matrix algebra
-Mechanics & stats
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by mnot
I would say relative to the standards of maths in a physics degree, GCSE maths will be fairly trivial so if it has been a long time since you've done this maths its probably a good excuse to shack off the rust.

Im sure you'll be fine, just maybe do some GCSE past paper questions to warm up to it again, you may need to recap a couple things but with a little bit of reflection im sure you'll be fine!

I suspect the foundation course is designed in such a way that it will pick up from GCSE maths so will probably focus on (but dont worry about this for now):
-Calculus & ODEs
-matrix algebra
-Mechanics & stats

Thanks for the response!
I've been looking through past papers for the past few hours and I definitely am a bit rusty :s-smilie: Thankfully its not for a few weeks yet!
I'll just try and cover all topics as best I can, just a bit of everything.
Thanks for mentioning some foundation year topics too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending