Is Major and Minor degree structure there in the University of Bristol

Watch
Samuditha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied to and received an offer from the University of Bristol for Mechanical Engineering. As I have a tremendous interest in physics I was wondering whether or not it is possible to study 2 degrees at Bristol one for Engineering and the other for Physics. Is it possible to do a Major and Minor in the UK like the US?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no major and minor structure apart from languages. It is possible, however, to study 2 degrees, which are dual and combined degrees, but it depends if the uni lets you so I would contact them if there was any possible way to do so. If not, I would look at the course's optional modules and see if any have any physics aspects
Samuditha
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
There's no major and minor structure apart from languages. It is possible, however, to study 2 degrees, which are dual and combined degrees, but it depends if the uni lets you so I would contact them if there was any possible way to do so. If not, I would look at the course's optional modules and see if any have any physics aspects
Well, I did look at the course content. There was a lot of dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, structure and maths. But I didn't come across quantum mechanics or relativity which I would like to study as well.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Samuditha)
Well, I did look at the course content. There was a lot of dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, structure and maths. But I didn't come across quantum mechanics or relativity which I would like to study as well.
I don't imagine you'll cover those topics in an engineering degree. There are, I believe, a few universities that offer a degree called "engineering physics" (I think Loughborough is one of them) which might include a quick look at them, though.
Samuditha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
I don't imagine you'll cover those topics in an engineering degree. There are, I believe, a few universities that offer a degree called "engineering physics" (I think Loughborough is one of them) which might include a quick look at them, though.
I didn't apply to Loughborough though. Also, can I do my master in physics at a top 10 world university if I get a first in mechanical engineering and have a very strong understanding of physics and maths even tough my undergraduate degree is in the engineering field.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have applied to and received an offer from the University of Bristol for Mechanical Engineering. As I have a tremendous interest in physics I was wondering whether or not it is possible to study 2 degrees at Bristol one for Engineering and the other for Physics. Is it possible to do a Major and Minor in the UK like the US?
You might be able to take modules from another course as an option but idk if Bristol allow that
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, can I do my master in physics at a top 10 world university if I get a first in mechanical engineering and have a very strong understanding of physics and maths even tough my undergraduate degree is in the engineering field.
I'm not sure, you'd have to check university entry requirements, and if they're a bit vague, maybe even contact university departments yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.63%
No (47)
21.56%
Not sure (41)
18.81%

Watched Threads