The Student Room Group

Fed up with uni

Guys I need some advise,

Currently studying at LSE and honestly I feel so down right now. Did terrible in my January exams, I’m very lonely and I just have no motivation to do any work.

I convinced myself over the summer that I wanted to switch my degree to mech engineering at another uni, but I was so obsessed with coming to London and going to a prestigious uni that I just thought oh well I’ll still enjoy it. I did want to drop out before Christmas but I got convinced by one of my teachers to stay as they said I’ll be able to say that I did a year at LSE, but does anyone really care if I do a year and drop out? I honestly just feel trapped here, like I feel like it would be such a waste of money to just drop out now, especially since I’ve only got 2 months left.

Just really don’t know what to do atm. I don’t think I have it in me to get a 2:1 this year. I mean I know people say first year doesn’t count for anything, but it’s just going to get harder and I’m already struggling with it now. I’m seriously considering dropping out now and taking a gap year because i feel like I need a break from all of this, and I’ll reapply for 2021 entry.

Just a massive kick in the teeth, feel like I’ve wasted so much money if I drop out and I’ll be 2 years behind all my friends.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Guys I need some advise,

Currently studying at LSE and honestly I feel so down right now. Did terrible in my January exams, I’m very lonely and I just have no motivation to do any work.

I convinced myself over the summer that I wanted to switch my degree to mech engineering at another uni, but I was so obsessed with coming to London and going to a prestigious uni that I just thought oh well I’ll still enjoy it. I did want to drop out before Christmas but I got convinced by one of my teachers to stay as they said I’ll be able to say that I did a year at LSE, but does anyone really care if I do a year and drop out? I honestly just feel trapped here, like I feel like it would be such a waste of money to just drop out now, especially since I’ve only got 2 months left.

Just really don’t know what to do atm. I don’t think I have it in me to get a 2:1 this year. I mean I know people say first year doesn’t count for anything, but it’s just going to get harder and I’m already struggling with it now. I’m seriously considering dropping out now and taking a gap year because i feel like I need a break from all of this, and I’ll reapply for 2021 entry.

Just a massive kick in the teeth, feel like I’ve wasted so much money if I drop out and I’ll be 2 years behind all my friends.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

You may not be cut from the right cloth for LSE. Lot's of people struggle there...academically..

I would do this, do you have the energy to improve in second year and really get serious? I went from a 55% in first year to a 66% in second and now average roughly a first in third year. (Uni of Nottingham) not as hard but no cakewalk either.

I know tons of friends who peaked too early and have reversed my trend lol. So look at it this way do you think you'll be more motivated to study when you know it counts? That was a huge factor for me...

Mechanical engineering is also notoriously hard btw. Anywhere you do it. So if your struggling in a non engineering course, I'm unlikely to estimate that you would do better in that.

For example, if your doing economics now.... Don't think mech engineering is easier by any means.

As far as what anyone else thinks about a year or whatever. Factor that out of your decision totally. Your not living their life and your not living theres. For example, if you remain at LSE and fall into a deep depression, and you graduate with a 50% avg... Then none of these great friends will help you find a job, more than likely they'll simply laugh and tell you about their offers. Seems harsh but that's life.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You may not be cut from the right cloth for LSE. Lot's of people struggle there...academically..

I would do this, do you have the energy to improve in second year and really get serious? I went from a 55% in first year to a 66% in second and now average roughly a first in third year. (Uni of Nottingham) not as hard but no cakewalk either.

I know tons of friends who peaked too early and have reversed my trend lol. So look at it this way do you think you'll be more motivated to study when you know it counts? That was a huge factor for me...

Mechanical engineering is also notoriously hard btw. Anywhere you do it. So if your struggling in a non engineering course, I'm unlikely to estimate that you would do better in that.

For example, if your doing economics now.... Don't think mech engineering is easier by any means.

As far as what anyone else thinks about a year or whatever. Factor that out of your decision totally. Your not living their life and your not living theres. For example, if you remain at LSE and fall into a deep depression, and you graduate with a 50% avg... Then none of these great friends will help you find a job, more than likely they'll simply laugh and tell you about their offers. Seems harsh but that's life.

Yeah I know what you mean, thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending