The Student Room Group

english writing structure

hello!
I have a conditional offer from my first choice college and I'm confident I can meet all the requirements, except for English. I have trouble passing it, so I really just need an easy, fool-proof structure for writing essays for literate and language too, if anyone could help me out:smile:
The PEAL structure works for most essay based subjects. So that is POINT, EVIDENCE, ANALYSIS, And LINK (linking back to your statement/question). I have passed many essay based exams using it and still uses it to write law essays at Uni.

Point - what you are going to to be talking about in the paragraph, try to limit this to one or two sentences only.

Evidence - evidence to back up your point. In english literature this is usually a quote, with english language this depends on what format you are being asked to answer the question in.

Analysis - this is where the majority of your marks cones from. Analyse the evidence. In english literature this is essentially a word association game. For example if you use the quote “out, damned spot” (Lady Macbeth), you can say something like from this you can see her guilty conscience is eating away at her, as she is hallucinating that her hand is permanently stained with blood.

Link - link your analysis back to your point and question.
Reply 2
Original post by candyapplecats
The PEAL structure works for most essay based subjects. So that is POINT, EVIDENCE, ANALYSIS, And LINK (linking back to your statement/question). I have passed many essay based exams using it and still uses it to write law essays at Uni.

Point - what you are going to to be talking about in the paragraph, try to limit this to one or two sentences only.

Evidence - evidence to back up your point. In english literature this is usually a quote, with english language this depends on what format you are being asked to answer the question in.

Analysis - this is where the majority of your marks cones from. Analyse the evidence. In english literature this is essentially a word association game. For example if you use the quote “out, damned spot” (Lady Macbeth), you can say something like from this you can see her guilty conscience is eating away at her, as she is hallucinating that her hand is permanently stained with blood.

Link - link your analysis back to your point and question.

omg thank you!! got it, but i'm not sure how to do the link part, i never get the marks for it so i don't think im doing it correctly
Original post by kunikaaa
omg thank you!! got it, but i'm not sure how to do the link part, i never get the marks for it so i don't think im doing it correctly

The linking part is very difficult to explain because this is something entirely dependant on what the question is asking. In the linking part there are normally two options 1) treat it as a mini conclusion of all the analysis in the paragraph you just wrote or 2) Tell us what the reader is feeling after reading the quote you were analysing.

E.g this is from my coursework piece which I got an A when I did GCSE.

Compared the ways in which disturbed characters are presented in Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde taking into account the societies in which they were written.

P - Use of juxtaposition to present disturbed character.
E
A
L - Stevenson using this technique really helps the reader to imagine Hyde as a diseased and damaged character. When the beautiful description is put in comparison with all the dismal and shadowed information you are given of Hyde, it makes you want to know to know more and less of the character at the same time, because although the readers are curious, they are also in fear of what is to come if what they know now is barely scratching the surface of his character.

Excuse the bad writing of 15 yo me.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending