The Student Room Group

Should I study chemistry ?

I’ve always been good at science but never had an expanded interest in it, I never did any extra reading or watched any videos or read any articles about science. I’m starting to think I have a lack of interest in the subject and I might not be the right candidate.

Any thoughts ?
Original post by Nostagiapolice
I’ve always been good at science but never had an expanded interest in it, I never did any extra reading or watched any videos or read any articles about science. I’m starting to think I have a lack of interest in the subject and I might not be the right candidate.

Any thoughts ?

Choose a subject because you are interested in it not because you are good at it! Remember you will have to do it for the rest of your life. However, I don’t think you have to ‘read articles’ to be interested in a subject. How do you find it when you revise chemistry? Is it boring? try and go to a university open day or do some work experience.Hope this helps!

Any thoughts ?

Hi there,

You should always take subjects, both at A-Level and at uni, that you are genuinely interested in. You'd be wasting your time studying something that you aren't passionate about and that won't fulfil you, as you'll just get bored and want to do something else anyway.

Try and think about what you are actually interested in and would enjoy doing (i.e. what do you spend your time reading and watching about), as you'll enjoy it more and get better grades in it. If you do still think chemistry may be for you, try reading and watching some things outride of you studies. What you study at A-Level may not be that interesting, but its applications in the real world might really interest you. For example, A-Level chemistry might not seem interesting to you, but if you read about how chemistry is used in the pharmaceutical industry and drug discovery, you might discover something you'd want to study.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Reply 3

Any thoughts ?

As a 2nd year chem student ill tell you that you definitely need to have enough interest to study chemistry because its not easy. Not saying its impossibly hard just its a subject you really need to work at to succeed in and you wont have any motivation if you dont enjoy the subject. I was the same, I always had a particular interest in science but didnt really know what I specifically wanted to do.
Chemistry seemed to be a good option since its literally at the heart of science and u can take it in either a more physical or biological direction depending on what you like - or even just straight chemistry.
All i based it on was that i enjoyed chem the most out of all my a levels and i knew i wanted to pursue a career in science. I never really read any articles or books either (apart from the ones i claimed i read in my personal statement, but then again i got bored of those too). But when i got to uni i absolutely loved it despite the hard work and i wouldnt change it for any other degree.
Chem is a really good option in the sense that it teaches you loads of skills which u can use in science or out of science ( i know plenty of people looking to work in finance etc after doing a BSc in chem).
Aw thanks for that reply it really helped :smile: yeah I did physics, maths and chemistry; and I 100% enjoyed chemistry the most out of all of them. And when I got it and it clicked it felt great. I was reconsidering because I don’t have a clue what my ‘passion’ is and I don’t have a dream job of sorts. When I did a-level I always thought about how I listen to political debates with Christopher hitchens and interviews with economists and political commentators, and never listened or watched much about science (unless it was ASAP science lmao). So it got me thinking about whether a humanities course would be more suitable for me. But then I remembered I ****ing hate reading, my English skills aren’t excellent and like doing hands-on work as well as written work.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Aw thanks for that reply it really helped :smile: yeah I did physics, maths and chemistry; and I 100% enjoyed chemistry the most out of all of them. And when I got it and it clicked it felt great. I was reconsidering because I don’t have a clue what my ‘passion’ is and I don’t have a dream job of sorts. When I did a-level I always thought about how I listen to political debates with Christopher hitchens and interviews with economists and political commentators, and never listened or watched much about science (unless it was ASAP science lmao). So it got me thinking about whether a humanities course would be more suitable for me. But then I remembered I ****ing hate reading, my English skills aren’t excellent and like doing hands-on work as well as written work.

No problem.
With a levels like that you're defo more prepared than most of my friends on my course - most people havent done maths or physics or both and theyre both soo helpful in a chem degree especially at the start.
And yeah dw I get that , with me I loveeeee everything to do with film and books but I honestly couldn't see myself anywhere near a humanities degree so I wouldn't worry so much about that.
Don't worry at this age nobody really knows what they want to do (unless ur very lucky). I defo don't have a clue and I'm already at uni - but thats what its for. Especially with a degree like Chem it won't shut any doors but open a bunch of them for you. You have uni to figure out what direction u wanna take ur career in, so for now just stick to what you love and are good at. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending