The Student Room Group

111 of GP?

Who do I call if I want advice on whether to continue private tutoring or not because of coronavirus? 111 or the GP
Neither.

Follow the advice already given. Work at home if possible. Social distancing where possible. Can’t you tutor via Skype or similar?
Reply 2
Original post by Etomidate
Neither.

Follow the advice already given. Work at home if possible. Social distancing where possible. Can’t you tutor via Skype or similar?

Well it's with young kids who basically don't have an attention span. I prefer to be face to face with them so they can focus. Not sure if they'll pay attention to me if I were to do it through Skype
Original post by Anonymous
Well it's with young kids who basically don't have an attention span. I prefer to be face to face with them so they can focus. Not sure if they'll pay attention to me if I were to do it through Skype

You should really be avoiding this sort of work, particularly given it probably involves going to multiple people's houses and spending a significant amount of time in close proximity to a family. In other words, you're a bit of a vector.

Surely some of this could be done online as suggested above. I really think you should be limiting this sort of contact, for the safety of the families you're going to as well as your own.

Then you should be cancelling your sessions unfortunately.

The NHS doesn't have the resources to give you personal advice on how to run your business.
If you continue with face to face tutoring then please follow all the advice on personal hygiene and avoiding contact. I suspect that your clients will make the decision for you. If they're in high risk households then offering skype/facetime as an alternative would be sensible.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
The NHS doesn't have the resources to give you personal advice on how to run your business.
If you continue with face to face tutoring then please follow all the advice on personal hygiene and avoiding contact. I suspect that your clients will make the decision for you. If they're in high risk households then offering skype/facetime as an alternative would be sensible.

But on the website it says you can call 111 for advice or medical reasons.
I want to get professional advice so that the parents would understand because right now most of them don't see it as a big deal
But on the website it says you can call 111 for advice or medical reasons.
I want to get professional advice so that the parents would understand because right now most of them don't see it as a big deal

That’s not a medical reason. The information you need is already plainly available and is common knowledge by now. What on Earth do you expect 111 to tell you?
Reply 8
Original post by Etomidate
That’s not a medical reason. The information you need is already plainly available and is common knowledge by now. What on Earth do you expect 111 to tell you?

They said advice OR medical reasons. So advice can be given right?
I also want to ask advice for a couple of other things I haven't stated here, that's why I really want to know who I should call
I’m in a similar position and deciding what to do. I have some students with exams in summer, so they don’t want to stop until they know what’s happening with exams.
I’m considering tutoring in the park or somewhere while the weather is good. That way it’s still in person but I’m not going into their houses and touching everything. I don’t know what I’d do in the rain though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending