The Student Room Group

Do you sometimes cough up blood in the morning?

Like the first sputum after wake-up looks bloody. I sometimes have this and don't know why.
no wtf??
sometimes i do get that really thick crispy stuff with a bit of dark blood in it, but only when i've had a bad cold
and how much sputum do you have anyway? It's not really normal to cough up phlegm unless you have an infection
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen... :doctor:
Reply 3
Original post by neckbite
no wtf??
sometimes i do get that really thick crispy stuff with a bit of dark blood in it, but only when i've had a bad cold
and how much sputum do you have anyway? It's not really normal to cough up phlegm unless you have an infection

Have a decade-long problem of nose allergy though so the postnasal drip sometimes causes me phlegm
Original post by Anonymous
Have a decade-long problem of nose allergy though so the postnasal drip sometimes causes me phlegm

oh that's super annoying... what are you allergic to?
maybe you have nasal polyps or something as well
do you use steroid nasal spray? cos that can cause nose bleeds and maybe that blood is dripping down your throat instead?
Reply 5
Original post by neckbite
oh that's super annoying... what are you allergic to?
maybe you have nasal polyps or something as well
do you use steroid nasal spray? cos that can cause nose bleeds and maybe that blood is dripping down your throat instead?

10 years ago. Haven't been using it since high school.
Reply 6
No.
Call 111 or make a GP appointment if this happens to you regularly and you know that you do not suffer from chronic bronchitis.
Particularly if the amount of blood is more than a few drops or you are experiencing pain.

Regularly coughing up blood has always been a sign that someone was very one with the person's health when they have not been in a fight, boozing and did not have a chest infection.
A blood clot, pneumonia, cancer, tuberculosis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
If you are coughing up blood that is quite dark and contains something that looks like coffee granules or bits of food, the blood could be coming from your digestive system. You should immediately go to hospital to get checked out by a doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest