The Student Room Group

Maintaining a balanced diet during Coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous370
where do we get vitamin D from (for a vegetarian as well) ? Also, is it in cheese (which I take plenty to gain weight) ? Is it in toast ? I remember getting some bread loaf from M&S and I think I remember it saying that it's got vitamin D in it which is good as no sun here in UK... Thanks.

One thing is fortified cereals; you can check the packaging, and many cereals (cheerios, for example) are fortified with various vitamins and minerals, and I'm fairly certain that vitamin D is one of them.
where do we get vitamin D from (for a vegetarian as well) ? Also, is it in cheese (which I take plenty to gain weight) ? Is it in toast ? I remember getting some bread loaf from M&S and I think I remember it saying that it's got vitamin D in it which is good as no sun here in UK... Thanks.

The problem with vitamin D is that there aren't many natural sources of it. The richest sources in an average UK diet are actually from foods that are fortified with it: usually margarine/spreads and breakfast cereals. Butter, oily fish, cheese and egg yolks have some vit. D, but these are foods that we shouldn't eat in excess, so it's very difficult to get enough vit. D from natural sources in a healthy balanced diet, hence the recommendation to supplement, particularly if you spend a lot of time indoors or if you are dark-skinned.
Try and maximise protein consumption.

Things like protein yoghurt for example Skyr yoghurt is really great. Things like frozen berries are super tasty and go well with the yoghurt and keep for ages too.

Baked beans! They’re a great source of protein.

Eggs are good too- 2 fried eggs will give you 13g worth of protein.

Protein powder is also good. The vegan ones are super healthy and again mean you get a lot of protein.

Try and avoid things that are just empty calories, like sweets or crisps for example.

You can switch things out too if you’re always snacking on crisps how about snacking on a hard boiled egg as it will have similar amounts of saturated fat but provides much needed protein too.

Also think about what you’re having for breakfast in terms of cereal. I personally have protein weetabix as again it’s a solid protein source! Other good options are things like shreddies, bran flakes, cornflakes or porridge too. Try and stick to healthier cereals as they’re more likely fill you up as having things like coco pops can just give u a bit of a sugar rush.

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Also if you download the Fitbit app you can log all your food and drink and track your macros!

Good luck and always remember if you do binge out on some not so healthy stuff you always have the next day to get back on track, and even though gyms are shut you can still go for a run which can easily burn off a few hundred calories in less than an hour.
Reply 23
quite hard to get a decent and varied diet right now. you just need to buy whats there. panic buying is still happening, despite the restrictions.

i went to my local sainsburys about noon today and was forced to que for 15 minutes outside because there was too much people in the store and they're implementing some social distancing policy. when i get in there i see some staff in the medicine isle stocking shelves. i see a row of pain killers. i quickly take two. 15 minutes later i pass back that row and have a peak at the pain killers. that row has now been decimated and only two remain. people are still stripping the shelves like animals, and quite frankly had i of got there probably 30 minutes later than i arrived there would be none left at all.

i could not get kidney beans either today, and could not get pies again either.
Original post by Reality Check
The problem with vitamin D is that there aren't many natural sources of it. The richest sources in an average UK diet are actually from foods that are fortified with it: usually margarine/spreads and breakfast cereals. Butter, oily fish, cheese and egg yolks have some vit. D, but these are foods that we shouldn't eat in excess, so it's very difficult to get enough vit. D from natural sources in a healthy balanced diet, hence the recommendation to supplement, particularly if you spend a lot of time indoors or if you are dark-skinned.

I spend a lot of time indoors normally, besides we're in UK. Also, the cereals I have are fortified with vitamin D and seem enough, but does the body "find"/consider these non-natural sources I guess to be ok for its needs rather than the Sun instead ? Supplement? Eh? There's like no sun here in UK... Thanks.
Reply 25

to get vitamin D you need to go out in the sun.

something the government doesn't want to see you doing right now...
I spend a lot of time indoors normally, besides we're in UK. Also, the cereals I have are fortified with vitamin D and seem enough, but does the body "find"/consider these non-natural sources I guess to be ok for its needs rather than the Sun instead ? Supplement? Eh? There's like no sun here in UK... Thanks.

Vitamin D is Vitamin D, whether than is from a tablet or formed by the action of sunlight on the skin. The body doesn't differentiate between the two, and either way is equally effective. The main thing is to ensure you're getting enough: 10µg a day.
Reply 27
Original post by fefssdf
Try and maximise protein consumption.

Things like protein yoghurt for example Skyr yoghurt is really great. Things like frozen berries are super tasty and go well with the yoghurt and keep for ages too.

Baked beans! They’re a great source of protein.

Eggs are good too- 2 fried eggs will give you 13g worth of protein.

Protein powder is also good. The vegan ones are super healthy and again mean you get a lot of protein.

Try and avoid things that are just empty calories, like sweets or crisps for example.

You can switch things out too if you’re always snacking on crisps how about snacking on a hard boiled egg as it will have similar amounts of saturated fat but provides much needed protein too.

Also think about what you’re having for breakfast in terms of cereal. I personally have protein weetabix as again it’s a solid protein source! Other good options are things like shreddies, bran flakes, cornflakes or porridge too. Try and stick to healthier cereals as they’re more likely fill you up as having things like coco pops can just give u a bit of a sugar rush.

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Also if you download the Fitbit app you can log all your food and drink and track your macros!

Good luck and always remember if you do binge out on some not so healthy stuff you always have the next day to get back on track, and even though gyms are shut you can still go for a run which can easily burn off a few hundred calories in less than an hour.

This is fantastic, thank you! There may be some issues in getting all those different foods :biggrin:, with the ongoing panic buying, but I'll definitely try to implement more protein, and not just Birds Eye chicken nuggets :biggrin:, which are what I'm getting a bit fed up of at this point ahaha.
Reply 28
Original post by ANM775
quite hard to get a decent and varied diet right now. you just need to buy whats there. panic buying is still happening, despite the restrictions.

i went to my local sainsburys about noon today and was forced to que for 15 minutes outside because there was too much people in the store and they're implementing some social distancing policy. when i get in there i see some staff in the medicine isle stocking shelves. i see a row of pain killers. i quickly take two. 15 minutes later i pass back that row and have a peak at the pain killers. that row has now been decimated and only two remain. people are still stripping the shelves like animals, and quite frankly had i of got there probably 30 minutes later than i arrived there would be none left at all.

That's very true, I was at Sainsbury's today (around 1100hrs), but didn't have to queue, I'm surprised many people aren't maintaining the 2m social distancing.
Ahahaha same here; I absolutely adore chicken pies, but there weren't any today :frown:
Original post by ANM775
to get vitamin D you need to go out in the sun.

something the government doesn't want to see you doing right now...

:tongue:
Original post by Reality Check
Vitamin D is Vitamin D, whether than is from a tablet or formed by the action of sunlight on the skin. The body doesn't differentiate between the two, and either way is equally effective. The main thing is to ensure you're getting enough: 10µg a day.

Thanks for that, incl. the amount mention of 10µg/day.

No problem :smile:
Reply 32
Really?! It's been unbelievably sunny where I am, today, and yesterday, and the day before that! I live in West Yorkshire :biggrin:
But I would say definitely keep up with eating a daily portion of cereal, I know it doesn't provide all the vitamin D you need daily, so if you've got any fruit or vegetables at home, try incorporating them into your meals? I appreciate it's difficult at the current time.
This is unhealthy as hell but in the holidays I don’t get hungry really .. so all I really eat is dinner and like some fruit in the day - not good because I’m working out quite a lot to pass the time
Original post by ANM775

https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/biona-red-kidney-beans-400g/54134
Reply 35
Original post by gilliewolf
This is unhealthy as hell but in the holidays I don’t get hungry really .. so all I really eat is dinner and like some fruit in the day - not good because I’m working out quite a lot to pass the time

Wow, and I'm here, constantly eating :biggrin: Don't force yourself to eat, of course, but maybe think about how many calories you're consuming each day (and don't get all hung up on the calories btw), and think if it's too little, and could become a health issue :smile:

https://www.vivolife.co.uk/products/d3-plant-based-d3-with-k2
Reply 37

it's twice the price of sainsburys

plus i'll have to pay delivery ontop of that.
Reply 38

tbh i've got 2 bottles of high dose vitamin d in my cupboard right now.

i initially had to stop one brand because i started literally doing concrete sh*ts after taking it. then i found out that high levels of vitamin d can cause kidney stones or something if you don't take it with vitamin k, so then i bought a brand with vitamin d and k

This is extremely expensive and has lots of 'magic' ingredients in it which don't actually do anything. You can get your vitamin D requirements a hell of a lot cheaper than that!

Quick Reply

Latest