The Student Room Group

Maintaining a balanced diet during Coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
This is total nonsense. Your body is designed to run on carbohydrate.

The body can run on carbohydrates, however the body can also run on fats just as well if not better.

Obesity is a ****ing epidemic in the west and it’s because we eat high-sugar, carbohydrate rich diets. Not to mention all the links between auto-immune diseases and inflammation which is linked with it.

You can keep stuffing your face with carbs and processed ****. I’ll continue eating lean meats and leafy greens and guarantee I’m a million times healthier than you.
This is whole heap of wrong, scientifically and nutritionally.

Original post by abcthe123
The body can run on carbohydrates, however the body can also run on fats just as well if not better.

Your body is designed to use carbs as its primary energy source. Only if carbs are in short supply does your body switch to metabolising fats.

Obesity is a ****ing epidemic in the west and it’s because we eat high-sugar, carbohydrate rich diets.

Obesity is multifactorial. It is simplistic and unhelpful to attempt to point to one class of foods (in this case sugar) as some bogeyman. The science is much more complicated than that.

Not to mention all the links between auto-immune diseases and inflammation which is linked with it.

This is the sort of mediæval rubbish they print in the Daily Mail health section. There is no robust scientific evidence to link sugar/CHO with autoimmune disease or inflammation. Try doing a Cochrane Reviews search of it.

You can keep stuffing your face with carbs and processed ****. I’ll continue eating lean meats and leafy greens and guarantee I’m a million times healthier than you.

I doubt that very much. :smile:
This is whole heap of wrong, scientifically and nutritionally.

I doubt that very much. :smile:

“A systematic review from 2018 reported that several studies have linked consuming more dietary sugar especially from sugary drinks with chronic inflammation.”

“A 2014 study showed that people who reduced their intake of sugar sweetened drinks had lower inflammation factors in their blood. These findings support the theory that sugar consumption can cause inflammation”

“People may develop the following common signs and symptoms from chronic inflammation: depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders, body pain, constant fatigue and insomnia, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, and other digestive issues, weight gain, frequent infections”

“People with chronic inflammation may have an increased risk of diabetes, depression, and dementia”
“A systematic review from 2018 reported that several studies have linked consuming more dietary sugar especially from sugary drinks with chronic inflammation.”

“A 2014 study showed that people who reduced their intake of sugar sweetened drinks had lower inflammation factors in their blood. These findings support the theory that sugar consumption can cause inflammation”

“People may develop the following common signs and symptoms from chronic inflammation: depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders, body pain, constant fatigue and insomnia, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, and other digestive issues, weight gain, frequent infections”

“People with chronic inflammation may have an increased risk of diabetes, depression, and dementia”

Reference? So people can verify both the information and the validity of the source...
Reply 44

Also clearly just two studies about fizzy drinks, which I don't think anyone here was endorsing as healthy in the first place.
Original post by nzy
Also clearly just two studies about fizzy drinks, which I don't think anyone here was endorsing as healthy in the first place.

I'm still waiting for my citation... :smile:
Original post by w10aneilson
This is fantastic, thank you! There may be some issues in getting all those different foods :biggrin:, with the ongoing panic buying, but I'll definitely try to implement more protein, and not just Birds Eye chicken nuggets :biggrin:, which are what I'm getting a bit fed up of at this point ahaha.

Protein powder can be bought online from places like my protein, bulk powder ect. The yoghurt too can’t be panic bought as it only lasts for like 5 days once opened so there’s always a lot of stock :smile:
Reference? So people can verify both the information and the validity of the source...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-and-inflammation - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20573797

"In one study, eating just 50 grams of refined carbs in the form of white bread resulted in higher blood sugar levels and an increase in the inflammatory marker Nf-kB"

"A study of 29 healthy people found that consuming only 40 grams of added sugar from just one 375-ml can of soda per day led to an increase in inflammatory markers, insulin resistance and LDL cholesterol. These people tended to gain more weight, too"

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/high-sugar-intake-worsens-autoimmune-disease-mice
"In mouse models of autoimmune disorders, drinking sugary water worsened disease by activating inflammatory immune cells."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034518/
"Role of “Western Diet” in Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases"

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-4065218
"Frequent exposure to high glucose levels diminishes mental capacity, as higher HbA1c levels have been associated with a greater degree of brain shrinkage"

"Additional research shows that a diet high in sugar reduces the production brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a brain chemical essential for new memory formation and learning."

Bet you'll still deny all of that.
Bet you'll still deny all of that.

Well of course I will. Because it's a crock of crap.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-and-inflammation - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20573797

"In one study, eating just 50 grams of refined carbs in the form of white bread resulted in higher blood sugar levels and an increase in the inflammatory marker Nf-kB"

"A study of 29 healthy people found that consuming only 40 grams of added sugar from just one 375-ml can of soda per day led to an increase in inflammatory markers, insulin resistance and LDL cholesterol. These people tended to gain more weight, too"

'Heathline' is not a reputable source.

Even if we follow through the links to the papers, we find that these are tiny prospective studies (n=29) with little generalisability to a larger population. The studies themselves use the words 'potentially' and 'maybe'.

Also, I asked you for systematic reviews, such as a Cochrane review. This is not one.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/high-sugar-intake-worsens-autoimmune-disease-mice
"In mouse models of autoimmune disorders, drinking sugary water worsened disease by activating inflammatory immune cells."

Can you not read? This is a mouse model. The authors claim nothing about whether this is applicable to human beings, nor have they attempted any research into it.

You might have well have linked an article about how much water is contained in a camel hump.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034518/
"Role of “Western Diet” in Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases"

There is nothing in this paper (nor the actual edited one which was published, which you haven't linked) about sugar or carbohydrate, which was your claim. Why have you linked it?

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-4065218
"Frequent exposure to high glucose levels diminishes mental capacity, as higher HbA1c levels have been associated with a greater degree of brain shrinkage"

"Additional research shows that a diet high in sugar reduces the production brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a brain chemical essential for new memory formation and learning."

A website called 'verywellmind' is not a reputable source, nor are there any reputable sources cited or referenced in the article.

So, all in all, a bit of a fail. You must learn to be much more discriminating in what you read, and not think that vomiting up 'papers' answers a question just because they're 'papers'. If they have no relevance to the question asked, or have serious flaws in study design, n-number or applicability/generalisability, then they are useless.

I'm still waiting for that Cochrane Review showing a link between sugar/CHO and inflammation, as you claimed. I'll be waiting a long time, wont' I...?
Well of course I will. Because it's a crock of crap.

'Heathline' is not a reputable source.

Even if we follow through the links to the papers, we find that these are tiny prospective studies (n=29) with little generalisability to a larger population. The studies themselves use the words 'potentially' and 'maybe'.

Also, I asked you for systematic reviews, such as a Cochrane review. This is not one.

Can you not read? This is a mouse model. The authors claim nothing about whether this is applicable to human beings, nor have they attempted any research into it.

You might have well have linked an article about how much water is contained in a camel hump.

There is nothing in this paper (nor the actual edited one which was published, which you haven't linked) about sugar or carbohydrate, which was your claim. Why have you linked it?

A website called 'verywellmind' is not a reputable source, nor are there any reputable sources cited or referenced in the article.

So, all in all, a bit of a fail. You must learn to be much more discriminating in what you read, and not think that vomiting up 'papers' answers a question just because they're 'papers'. If they have no relevance to the question asked, or have serious flaws in study design, n-number or applicability/generalisability, then they are useless.

I'm still waiting for that Cochrane Review showing a link between sugar/CHO and inflammation, as you claimed. I'll be waiting a long time, wont' I...?

I don't understand what's so controversial about what I'm saying. The UK's Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) guidelines, recommend a maximum sugar intake of 5% daily energy intake. In a review of the sugar consumption of 18 developed countries, it was found that total sugar intake as a percentage of energy ranged between 13.5–24.6% in adults. Clearly we consume too much sugar in the west and it's hardly uncontroversial to suggest that's why people are so unhealthy, especially combined with a sedentary lifestyle- not to mention all of the mental issues like depression which are clearly on the rise in the west.

There are plenty, and I mean plenty of prospective cohort studies done in recent years which develop a clear link between sugar/carbs and inflammation and I've seen nothing that contradicts that notion. I've not looked into any "Cochrane Review" and I'm unaware if there are any studies there on the matter- I do know for a matter of fact however, the sugar industry has suppressed information and hid health consequences of sugar since the 50's. If you're aware of ANY data whatsoever that suggests Carbs/Sugar do not have an effect on inflammation please bring it forward.

Again, as I mentioned previously, you can continue shoving your face with processed carbs and refined sugars, I'll stick to meats and leafy greens. I know which makes me feel better and benefits me the most.
Original post by w10aneilson
Hi all, how are you maintaining a varied and balanced diet during the current events? I.e. what sorts of foods are you eating?
Just curious, and wanting a friendly discussion with some advice :smile:

Calorie defecit

I don't understand what's so controversial about what I'm saying. The UK's Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) guidelines, recommend a maximum sugar intake of 5% daily energy intake. In a review of the sugar consumption of 18 developed countries, it was found that total sugar intake as a percentage of energy ranged between 13.5–24.6% in adults. Clearly we consume too much sugar in the west and it's hardly uncontroversial to suggest that's why people are so unhealthy, especially combined with a sedentary lifestyle- not to mention all of the mental issues like depression which are clearly on the rise in the west.

This is the first scientifically accurate claim you've made :smile: But SACN make no link between sugar and inflammation, which is your claim. And sugar is only one contributory factor towards obesity. There's much more to it than that.

There are plenty, and I mean plenty of prospective cohort studies done in recent years which develop a clear link between sugar/carbs and inflammation and I've seen nothing that contradicts that notion.

So where are they?

I've not looked into any "Cochrane Review" and I'm unaware if there are any studies there on the matter-

Maybe somewhere to start some research then.

I do know for a matter of fact however, the sugar industry has suppressed information and hid health consequences of sugar since the 50's.

How do you 'know'? What secret do you have that the rest of the scientific community doesn't? You must be able to see that this is conspiracy and hearsay, not scientific proof or evidence.

If you're aware of ANY data whatsoever that suggests Carbs/Sugar do not have an effect on inflammation please bring it forward.

Academic discussion and debate doesn't work like this. It is incumbent on the person making the claim (i.e. you) to bring forward evidence to support your claims. It is not for me to defend the null hypothesis.

Again, as I mentioned previously, you can continue shoving your face with processed carbs and refined sugars, I'll stick to meats and leafy greens. I know which makes me feel better and benefits me the most.

You're again making unwarranted assumptions. Nowhere did I say that I did 'shove my face with carbs and refined sugars' - don't be silly. But I do eat plenty of CHO from unrefined, wholewheat sources because this is the backbone of a healthy, balanced diet.

I don't understand what's so controversial about what I'm saying. The UK's Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) guidelines, recommend a maximum sugar intake of 5% daily energy intake. In a review of the sugar consumption of 18 developed countries, it was found that total sugar intake as a percentage of energy ranged between 13.5–24.6% in adults. Clearly we consume too much sugar in the west

Okay but this is a straight up Motte and Bailey fallacy. Yes, people eat too much refined sugar these days and that's not a particularly healthy diet. That's not what you've been arguing though. You've been arguing that carbohydrates in general are awful and shouldn't be eaten at all, and that is not the same thing as we eat too much sugar because a) the basic principle of toxicology is "sola dosis facit venenum" - the dose makes the poison; consuming something at high levels being harmful does not mean it is always harmful, indeed you need some carbohydrates in your diet; and indeed you'll get carbohydrates in your diet currently because b) not all carbohydrates are free sugar; starches and fibres are carbohydrates, and sourced from potatoes, rice/pasta, whole-wheat foods, pulses and fruit & veg, they make up an important part of your diet.

Stop spreading medically unsupported bull**** diets as if they're good advice, they absolutely are not

Quick Reply

Latest