The Student Room Group

RAF medical question

I am currently starting selection for the RAF. A year ago, I was suffering from bad insomnia (I use to live in Scotland so our medical side is slightly outdated) and they put me on antidepressants to help with the sleep (Trazadone).

I have moved to England and my doctor says I shouldn't be on them and agrees I should be coming off them. The only issue is the discontinuation symptoms, I feel its best to give it a few weeks before starting withdrawals only for the fact, COVID has impacted my dissertation within my Masters at university, in which, I am currently addressing. So I don't want to start coming off them until everything with COVID has settled.

I have no diagnosed mental health issues. I have asked the RAF about this but they said they cannot say as its down to the medical assessment. I know you can't exactly say but do you think this may be okay? I am in the process of starting withdrawals, I have no diagnosed mental health conditions, and I am on the lowest dosage (50mg) and take it once a day before bed. When I start withdrawals, I will just be taking it less often until my body adjusts to normal sleeping patterns without it. I am just concerned this may be seen as a concern, even my GP bluntly said I shouldn't have been on them in the first place!
Original post by pringles06
I am currently starting selection for the RAF. A year ago, I was suffering from bad insomnia (I use to live in Scotland so our medical side is slightly outdated) and they put me on antidepressants to help with the sleep (Trazadone).

I have moved to England and my doctor says I shouldn't be on them and agrees I should be coming off them. The only issue is the discontinuation symptoms, I feel its best to give it a few weeks before starting withdrawals only for the fact, COVID has impacted my dissertation within my Masters at university, in which, I am currently addressing. So I don't want to start coming off them until everything with COVID has settled.

I have no diagnosed mental health issues. I have asked the RAF about this but they said they cannot say as its down to the medical assessment. I know you can't exactly say but do you think this may be okay? I am in the process of starting withdrawals, I have no diagnosed mental health conditions, and I am on the lowest dosage (50mg) and take it once a day before bed. When I start withdrawals, I will just be taking it less often until my body adjusts to normal sleeping patterns without it. I am just concerned this may be seen as a concern, even my GP bluntly said I shouldn't have been on them in the first place!

Hi

As we've already advised, there is no way of knowing until you have your medical. That's exactly why it's part of the application process. No one on here is going to be medically qualified to be able to give you an answer, especially from an RAF standpoint.

As long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria listed then you can submit an application. The process will determine your entry.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest