The Student Room Group

wanting to change course at uni!! any advice please??

Hi, I'm currently studying Linguistics and Chinese at university but I absolutely hate it, ive managed to stick it out for the first year but it was like living hell. I really want to change but am unsure to what to change to, something creative like film studies or games design but that would require me starting from year 1 which I don't really want to do.
I hate the uni I am at so I am really wanting to change to one closer to home but I have one friend here that I would feel really guilty to leave but the uni I go to is quite small so theres absolutely nothing to do and I am wanting to go to a bigger city closer to home but I am unsure as to whether to just stick it out for the next two years and ask if i can change to linguistics and film studies at my current uni or whether to start fresh! And i guess im worried about hating the new uni or not being able to make any friends :frown:(. Also i'm worried about pursuing a full creative degree as its an arts degree so the career prospects are very tough and I honestly have no idea what job i want to go into or anything after uni! So much so that at the moment I am planning on joining the army! But i want to have a degree so i didnt waste anytime and if i do decide not to go to the army just have a better chance at a job then a dead end one?
Also I would love to take a gap year to figure stuff out but unfortunately I can't (due to personal reasons) so if im wanting to change or transfer i need to get it done quick as...
i just have no idea what to do... uni was not what i expected and compared to other people i have hated it so much i barely have any friends and i'm generally a really fun and outgoing person and i now have depression which is i still cant believe but i just have no idea what i want to do and it feels like a big spiral :frown:(
any advice would be great!!!
Thank you!!!! xx
I think it is usually hard to tranfer to another course without starting from year 1, because the course content may not be similar, unless you are studying something like mathematics and would like to change to statistics, which the credits you take at year 1 are sort of similar. In your case, I would suggest you to see if any university near your home have other course which have a similar course in year 1, if there is, u may try to apply it, if no, then I think you need to start from year 1 if u really want to change to other course.
As for friends, I saw that you said you hated it, can you tell me why? I think making friends are quite easy if you are willing to join club and society that you like, coz it will be easier to find someone who have the same interest with you. So did you do anything which makes you into this situation?
Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having such a tough time at university :frown: As the anon above said, I would also suggest that you look at a university closer to home if that's what you feel is right for you! I studied for almost 5 years at university myself and have honestly only just recently decided what I want to do for a career so it's okay if you haven't quite figured it out yet☺️ there are so many opportunities at university that you might not even know were out there, so I'd definitely recommend sticking it out if you can, but I also personally would say to just go for it with the course you actually want to do! You might not think that there are as many prospects for a creative arts degree but that really isn't the case! Graphic design, film, media etc are all increasingly more important and in demand as we globalise and move towards technology so I honestly think you'll be fine❤️

I personally came to uni because I loved the subject I was studying, and when you're paying over £9000 a year for 3 years minimum, enjoyment of the course is so important!

I can't tell you whether you would love the new uni or not, that will always be an uncertainty until you go, but the certainty is that you hate your current situation so I guess something should change! Try speak to current students at a particular university (I did study at keele an absolutely LOVE it) and I'm sure others from whichever university you consider next will give you their honest opinion❤️

Good luck with everything, I hope you find your path soon but try not to stress too much and just do your research and know that every university is different, and so then will the experience be! ☺️

^Rose❤️
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I think it is usually hard to tranfer to another course without starting from year 1, because the course content may not be similar, unless you are studying something like mathematics and would like to change to statistics, which the credits you take at year 1 are sort of similar. In your case, I would suggest you to see if any university near your home have other course which have a similar course in year 1, if there is, u may try to apply it, if no, then I think you need to start from year 1 if u really want to change to other course.
As for friends, I saw that you said you hated it, can you tell me why? I think making friends are quite easy if you are willing to join club and society that you like, coz it will be easier to find someone who have the same interest with you. So did you do anything which makes you into this situation?

aaah sorry for late reply i didn't think i'd get a response this quickly! I did join a lot of clubs and societies actually in an effort to make friends but my uni is very animal and science-y based so everyone from those departments kind of stuck together and it wasn't without trying! i really did try hard to make friends and stuff and i guess i have a few but they stick together a lot and i don't fit in there really. I'm going to contact other uni's closer to home to see if there is anyway i can do a similar course from year 2 and if not then i might just start from year 1 fresh!
Thank you very much for your help!!
Love Gem xx
Reply 4
Original post by Keele University
Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having such a tough time at university :frown: As the anon above said, I would also suggest that you look at a university closer to home if that's what you feel is right for you! I studied for almost 5 years at university myself and have honestly only just recently decided what I want to do for a career so it's okay if you haven't quite figured it out yet☺️ there are so many opportunities at university that you might not even know were out there, so I'd definitely recommend sticking it out if you can, but I also personally would say to just go for it with the course you actually want to do! You might not think that there are as many prospects for a creative arts degree but that really isn't the case! Graphic design, film, media etc are all increasingly more important and in demand as we globalise and move towards technology so I honestly think you'll be fine❤️

I personally came to uni because I loved the subject I was studying, and when you're paying over £9000 a year for 3 years minimum, enjoyment of the course is so important!

I can't tell you whether you would love the new uni or not, that will always be an uncertainty until you go, but the certainty is that you hate your current situation so I guess something should change! Try speak to current students at a particular university (I did study at keele an absolutely LOVE it) and I'm sure others from whichever university you consider next will give you their honest opinion❤️

Good luck with everything, I hope you find your path soon but try not to stress too much and just do your research and know that every university is different, and so then will the experience be! ☺️

^Rose

That kind of makes me feel better that you studied for quite a while until you found what you wanted to do because i feel like there is a lot of pressure to know what you want to do from such a young age and it's hard! I might just stick it out, but switch to like linguistics because i dont particularly want to do the year abroad but its compulsory so thank you for the advice!!! I'm still torn between transferring to a creative course because I feel like i'd enjoy it a lot more rather than learning about morphemes and suffixes 😅😅 and that makes me feel a lot better! I guess i'm just uncertain about starting again because that's an extra year in university AND an extra year of debt that i didnt feel to comfortable with having 😅 although my sister in uni has told me not to worry about it at all 😅😅
Weirdly enough i was looking at keele as that uni is a lot closer to home from where i'm at so it makes me relieved that you really enjoyed studying there! and thank you for all the advice!!

Again thank you!! you've been a great help and i'm sure i'll figure out what i want soon!!! think i just need to clear my head and contact uni's and see whats available! Thank you very much!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Gem xx ❤️
Original post by Anonymous
That kind of makes me feel better that you studied for quite a while until you found what you wanted to do because i feel like there is a lot of pressure to know what you want to do from such a young age and it's hard! I might just stick it out, but switch to like linguistics because i dont particularly want to do the year abroad but its compulsory so thank you for the advice!!! I'm still torn between transferring to a creative course because I feel like i'd enjoy it a lot more rather than learning about morphemes and suffixes 😅😅 and that makes me feel a lot better! I guess i'm just uncertain about starting again because that's an extra year in university AND an extra year of debt that i didnt feel to comfortable with having 😅 although my sister in uni has told me not to worry about it at all 😅😅
Weirdly enough i was looking at keele as that uni is a lot closer to home from where i'm at so it makes me relieved that you really enjoyed studying there! and thank you for all the advice!!

Again thank you!! you've been a great help and i'm sure i'll figure out what i want soon!!! think i just need to clear my head and contact uni's and see whats available! Thank you very much!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Gem xx ❤️

There really is a lot of pressure, but so many opportunities, as well as obstacles, arise that mean it isn't always possible to have a definitive plan for your life! As long as you keep trying to figure it out and work towards some of your goals then you'll get there in the end! :smile: Only you know which course will be the best for you, and whatever decision you make will be the right one, I'm sure! Although there is the extra debt, it doesn't really impact you all that much because you will only pay back what you can afford to, when you earn over the £25,000 (at the moment) so you don't need to worry about that one too much (although I know it can be hard to not factor that into your decisions!)

And wow, that's it's good to hear that Keele is potentially an option for you (small world!) - it's an incredible uni with so much to offer :smile: If you have any Keele-related or other uni-related questions then I'm more than happy to answer them. Glad to hear I've been somewhat helpful too!

^Rose xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending