The Student Room Group

Applying & getting ready for uni in s5

I’m starting s5 the next month And I want to apply for university by the end of s5 but I don’t really know the process.
When do I apply?
When do I write my personal statement?
What things will I need to do in my last year of high school to improve my chances of getting in.
I feel quite lost.
(edited 9 months ago)
I highly advice against this as well as you are going to miss out on key things such as prom, your drop out chances are higher. If you do choose to proceed with this then you should have your personal statement typed up and ready for any small last minute changes for the start of september for medicine, and mid september for any other course, although the earlier the better. In October, I think the 6th, Uni applications will open and the sooner you submit yours the sooner your likely to get a response. I would start now and consolidate the knowledge from each of your subjects. You can do this by spending and hour or 2 each weekend on each subject, insuring that you understand it and if there is anything that you don't understand go to your teacher and make sure that you do understand it.

If you have any other question let me know and I should hopefully be able to answer them. Out of curiosity, where are you planning on applying to and for what course(s)? Also what subjects are you taking this year in S5, and what did you take last year?

Hope this makes sense and goodluck!!
Original post by Kotc
I’m starting s5 the next month And I want to apply for university by the end of s5 but I don’t really know the process.
When do I apply?
When do I write my personal statement?
What things will I need to do in my last year of high school to improve my chances of getting in.
I feel quite lost.

Hello,

With exception to a few courses (Medicine, Dentistry etc.), or if you want to study at an Oxbridge university, the deadline for equal consideration of your application is sometime towards the end of January of the year you want to start uni i.e. if you want to start in September 2024, the EC deadline is January 2024 (exact dates change each year and will be available on the UCAS website). Your personal statement is part of the application, and needs to be completed by then. Advice on writing a personal statement can be found at school, online, and on universities' websites. Very broadly speaking, courses look for Higher grades in the region of AABB, so this is what you ideally want to be working towards throughout S5. The actual grades vary greatly from course to course, as well as any circumstances you have which may entitle you to the minimum entry requirements rather than the standard ones (again, minimum requirements vary). Do some research on the course you're interested in studying and the university you may wish to study it at. It's also worth going to things like online webinars, visiting universities at open days - it's a really important decision to make, you'll be studying there for approx. 4 years so you want to enjoy yourself and feel at home! If you've got any other questions about applying or university related, please get back in touch!

All the best,
Jake
Year 3, BSc Mathematics with Physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending