The Student Room Group

Hiii! Can someone please help :( stressed!!!

Hi! I’m currently in my first year at uni doing an accounting degree! I am 23 years old and will be graduated at 26. So before uni I was planning on savings my saas, basically getting £775 a month then take away my car insurance and mobile and train fair I would be left with about 450-500. So I was planning on just living off the wage I get from working part time every week as my mum and dad dont charge dig money. If I continued to do this I would have around 16,000 when I graduate. I wanted to save this because I’ll be a bit older when I leave uni! Now.. I have met loads of lovely uni friends who are actually the same age, and they are moving into a flat and asked me go with them! I really really want to as I think I would love it and I want the whole uni experience!! But that would mean I could only save about £200 max a month (if that) which wouldn’t leave me with as much if I chose not to move out. I’m so undecided. Would it be really daft to go and move in with them? Then I would graduate at 26 and not have much savings.. as I want to be able to buy a nice house etc. Or should I go for it? Does anyone have any thoughts?? I feel like I miss out on a lot at uni because I stay quite far away. If I was 18 and went to uni I would defo move in! But because I’m a bit older and want to save it’s just throwing me off. I just don’t want to limit
My uni experience because am worried about after???
Reply 1
Original post by Shannon19972020
Hi! I’m currently in my first year at uni doing an accounting degree! I am 23 years old and will be graduated at 26. So before uni I was planning on savings my saas, basically getting £775 a month then take away my car insurance and mobile and train fair I would be left with about 450-500. So I was planning on just living off the wage I get from working part time every week as my mum and dad dont charge dig money. If I continued to do this I would have around 16,000 when I graduate. I wanted to save this because I’ll be a bit older when I leave uni! Now.. I have met loads of lovely uni friends who are actually the same age, and they are moving into a flat and asked me go with them! I really really want to as I think I would love it and I want the whole uni experience!! But that would mean I could only save about £200 max a month (if that) which wouldn’t leave me with as much if I chose not to move out. I’m so undecided. Would it be really daft to go and move in with them? Then I would graduate at 26 and not have much savings.. as I want to be able to buy a nice house etc. Or should I go for it? Does anyone have any thoughts?? I feel like I miss out on a lot at uni because I stay quite far away. If I was 18 and went to uni I would defo move in! But because I’m a bit older and want to save it’s just throwing me off. I just don’t want to limit
My uni experience because am worried about after???

Hi, it doesn't have to be an 'either that or' option, you can do both. Continue living with your parents, but make some time to hang out with your friends. Honestly, the best way to maintain a friendship is not to live with them lol. As then you start seeing all their day to day pet peeves, and that can cause passive aggressiveness to one another. That way, you save on money, and you get to chill with them. And gatherings become more meaningful as you're having to organise time to spend with one another. I've lived in uni accommodation and private housing, and honestly, it's not worth the money. And as you've mentioned, you have long term plans, to save up for a house. So it's better to go with long term investments than the short term thrill of living away, when it's not really all it's hyped to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending