The Student Room Group

Starting university anxiety

So since exams are cancelled and schools are closed, i have officially graduated from high school meaning im starting my very first year at university in September, i turned 18 yesterday and majority of teens would be the happiest people ever, finally being of age, getting to move out of your parents house and start a new life at uni but i feel such anxiety to the point of tears, i tend to get very socially anxious so the thought of living in dorms with strangers in a city I've never been to far away from home is already enough stress but what scares me even more is the fact that my parents have to send me money every month to help me out, which probably sounds stupid and i might be the only person that thinks this way because i know its normal for a parent to help their kid out as they start uni, thats their job but i feel so guilty? I feel as if im a burden to them, that they'll have to work harder because of me, i just feel so uncomfortable in all of this, I've got 5 months left to prepare for university and i dont feel excited at all, all i can do is be stressed and cry, does anyone have any advice or literally anything..
Original post by joonghong
So since exams are cancelled and schools are closed, i have officially graduated from high school meaning im starting my very first year at university in September, i turned 18 yesterday and majority of teens would be the happiest people ever, finally being of age, getting to move out of your parents house and start a new life at uni but i feel such anxiety to the point of tears, i tend to get very socially anxious so the thought of living in dorms with strangers in a city I've never been to far away from home is already enough stress but what scares me even more is the fact that my parents have to send me money every month to help me out, which probably sounds stupid and i might be the only person that thinks this way because i know its normal for a parent to help their kid out as they start uni, thats their job but i feel so guilty? I feel as if im a burden to them, that they'll have to work harder because of me, i just feel so uncomfortable in all of this, I've got 5 months left to prepare for university and i dont feel excited at all, all i can do is be stressed and cry, does anyone have any advice or literally anything..

Okay so going to break this down:
1. Anxious about uni (new city, new people) = Everyone get nervous, some more than others obviously, but these "happiest people ever" are nervous too, they're just better at showing an excited side, when push comes to shove and they're driving there - everyone is crappy themselves (that was me if you hadn't guessed)
2. Money = Not particularly "normal" for parents to help out, for my experience and talking to people, it's a 50/50 split. It's completely down to circumstances so maybe don't assume everyone is getting that help. If you're worried about feeling guilty, get a part-time job at uni (and over summer - fruit pickers needed, delivery drivers etc - corona doesn't stop everything) so they can see you're working hard to have a bit more financial income - then they'll just be proud (because you've worked hard enough to get to uni and now you're continuing to work hard to show how grateful you are and showing maturity to work a bit too) plus there's loads of other benefits for getting a job at uni (I worked for my uni as an ambassador = money + really good on my CV + lots of new skills)

Don't focus on being stressed because that won't get you anywhere (easier said than done, I know)
Hope that helps, your worries are COMPLETELY NORMAL (I tutored A level students in their run up to uni, as well as speaking to lots of students ready to come to uni) so don't feel like you're alone in these worries because everyone has them no matter how excited they seem.

Hope that helps (and all makes sense) - any other worries, go for it :smile:
Original post by indialily
Okay so going to break this down:
1. Anxious about uni (new city, new people) = Everyone get nervous, some more than others obviously, but these "happiest people ever" are nervous too, they're just better at showing an excited side, when push comes to shove and they're driving there - everyone is crappy themselves (that was me if you hadn't guessed)
2. Money = Not particularly "normal" for parents to help out, for my experience and talking to people, it's a 50/50 split. It's completely down to circumstances so maybe don't assume everyone is getting that help. If you're worried about feeling guilty, get a part-time job at uni (and over summer - fruit pickers needed, delivery drivers etc - corona doesn't stop everything) so they can see you're working hard to have a bit more financial income - then they'll just be proud (because you've worked hard enough to get to uni and now you're continuing to work hard to show how grateful you are and showing maturity to work a bit too) plus there's loads of other benefits for getting a job at uni (I worked for my uni as an ambassador = money + really good on my CV + lots of new skills)

Don't focus on being stressed because that won't get you anywhere (easier said than done, I know)
Hope that helps, your worries are COMPLETELY NORMAL (I tutored A level students in their run up to uni, as well as speaking to lots of students ready to come to uni) so don't feel like you're alone in these worries because everyone has them no matter how excited they seem.

Hope that helps (and all makes sense) - any other worries, go for it :smile:

Thanks, that was really well put. Now I feel like I should print this and frame it somewhere, to remind myself bc I’m anxious most of the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending