The Student Room Group

someone i really dislike going to same university in september

I just found out someone i really really don’t like is going to the same university as me AND is in the same accommodation. Usually i would just ignore this but the fact that she’s in the same halls as me makes me really upset. I’ve never done anything to her personally but i fell out with her best friend about a year ago and we haven’t talked since. She wasn’t kind to me and said some mean **** about me but as most of my high school dramas went i was often the one left with the destroyed reputation and guilt. Im so upset because uni was meant to be a fresh start for me :frown: I spent both of my years in sixth form hiding and missing out in case someone who didn’t like me was going to be there , and if i went i would feel so uncomfortable. This was supposed to be my thing and i’m so so so upset. I’m worried she’ll be there on nights out or make friends with my friends and i’ll have to avoid and isolate myself again which made me depressed in the first place.
Reply 1
Just sort out daft tension between you or ignore her.

Hiding yourself away is not a healthy response to some teen drama. You don't have to do it, it's a choice, and it's a choice which will make you ill in the long run. The big question here is why you feel like you have to hide away in case of some minor awkwardness, and how you can address that.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Just sort out daft tension between you or ignore her.

Hiding yourself away is not a healthy response to some teen drama. You don't have to do it, it's a choice, and it's a choice which will make you ill in the long run. The big question here is why you feel like you have to hide away in case of some minor awkwardness, and how you can address that.

It’s not really about choosing to hide away or not. I have anxiety and it’s difficult. Most of the time it’s just how it makes me feel, i know myself and I know i will feel anxious now everytime i go out in case she’s there. It’s not really a choice. I have tried reasoning with her before
Reply 3
Original post by s140805
It’s not really about choosing to hide away or not. I have anxiety and it’s difficult. Most of the time it’s just how it makes me feel, i know myself and I know i will feel anxious now everytime i go out in case she’s there. It’s not really a choice. I have tried reasoning with her before

You need to try to take proactive steps to deal with the anxiety because otherwise this will rule your life. I know, I see students dealing with it every day.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
You need to try to take proactive steps to deal with the anxiety because otherwise this will rule your life. I know, I see students dealing with it every day.

I have come so far and i am working on it, it’s just finding this out has kind of burst my bubble and brought back a lot of old bad feelings. That’s all
Reply 5
Original post by s140805
I just found out someone i really really don’t like is going to the same university as me AND is in the same accommodation. Usually i would just ignore this but the fact that she’s in the same halls as me makes me really upset. I’ve never done anything to her personally but i fell out with her best friend about a year ago and we haven’t talked since. She wasn’t kind to me and said some mean **** about me but as most of my high school dramas went i was often the one left with the destroyed reputation and guilt. Im so upset because uni was meant to be a fresh start for me :frown: I spent both of my years in sixth form hiding and missing out in case someone who didn’t like me was going to be there , and if i went i would feel so uncomfortable. This was supposed to be my thing and i’m so so so upset. I’m worried she’ll be there on nights out or make friends with my friends and i’ll have to avoid and isolate myself again which made me depressed in the first place.

Focus on your own growth, engage in activities you enjoy, and don't let one person define your experience.
Depends on the accommodation really, a lot of them are huge and she could be on a different floor and so you might never see her. And even if you do it would be for one year at most as usually in second year onwards people find their own flat with friends and then you would probably never see her. I’d be far more worried if she were on the same course because then you would see her often. Honestly, don’t worry about it too much, unis are huge and you don’t see people you know as often as you think, there were something like 12 people from my sixth form who went to my same uni and I only saw I think 3 of them in the first week and then never again.
Original post by s140805

You have to find a solution for your anxiety. You're going to bump into people you don't like, that's life.
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Depends on the accommodation really, a lot of them are huge and she could be on a different floor and so you might never see her. And even if you do it would be for one year at most as usually in second year onwards people find their own flat with friends and then you would probably never see her. I’d be far more worried if she were on the same course because then you would see her often. Honestly, don’t worry about it too much, unis are huge and you don’t see people you know as often as you think, there were something like 12 people from my sixth form who went to my same uni and I only saw I think 3 of them in the first week and then never again.

I haven’t seen her in a year but i think she could possibly be on the same course 😭
Reply 9
Original post by nonchalant-
You have to find a solution for your anxiety. You're going to bump into people you don't like, that's life.

I agree, i’ve done this all my life. It’s not really me who i’m worried about , i fear she will be immature and take the petty drama with her to university and trash talk me or whatever. She will definitely make things tense
Original post by s140805
I haven’t seen her in a year but i think she could possibly be on the same course 😭

Maybe she won't be though so try and not stress about it till you know. And even if she is just air her as much as possible.
Reply 11
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Maybe she won't be though so try and not stress about it till you know. And even if she is just air her as much as possible.

I will be airing her 👍🏼👍🏼 Thank you
Reply 12
You are overthinking it.
Some UK halls have 1000 residents, more likely 300-600.
These days full catering (in hall) is rare, so most halls are divided into flats with shared kitchens.
The chance of being “trapped” with someone is remote.
University intakes are massive, 5k people, all lost on day one, freaking out a bit.

You also need to just sort your anxiety a bit? I know it is difficult, but this is the start of adult life and you can’t live your life avoiding people. This is a good place to start. I don’t mean to diminish the anxiety, but this can be the start of a sea change for you.

First off, how do you know that this person is actually going to behave as you feel?
They are possibly just as freaked out by the new experience as you are?
You can influence new people around you by being overly nice when forced to be in their presence.
If they are seen to be “a *****” and you are like Mary Poppins, they look an idiot.
If you worry about people talking about you behind your back, you will never be happy.
Be the best you can be. Sod everyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending