The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Spanish & French

I’m taking advanced higher Spanish and French next year and I am the only person in my school to be doing them. I’ve been told I’ll just be in with the higher Spanish and French classes but working independently. Just wondering how you found it, also did your teacher help you a lot or was it done mainly online as this is what I’ve been told I will be doing?
Original post by Carysferguson29
I’m taking advanced higher Spanish and French next year and I am the only person in my school to be doing them. I’ve been told I’ll just be in with the higher Spanish and French classes but working independently. Just wondering how you found it, also did your teacher help you a lot or was it done mainly online as this is what I’ve been told I will be doing?

:wavey:

Have just moved this into a new thread for you, as the other one was a few years old - hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice :smile:

[@Quick-use may have some general experience on both that they can share :smile:]
Original post by Labrador99
@Quick-use may have some general experience on both that they can share :smile:

Thanks for the tag!

@Carysferguson29 Really sorry for the late response. AH French and Spanish are excellent subjects, especially if you're thinking about pursuing them at university (in which case, I'd argue they're essential). That said, I really, really wouldn't recommend self-learning them or not having full contact time. The content is somewhat heavy (not so much as English or History) and you really do need someone to guide you through everything. One thing I might recommend is doing the subjects but not committing to sitting the exams next year (unless you're confident). If you want to do them at university, just the experience of the AH subjects and the advanced language will help you a lot.

I went to a different school for AH Spanish and after a whole year of commuting to that school 2 days a week, I realised that I hadn't learned anything. Up to that point, I felt as if I had self-learned things but because I had no concrete resources to guide me, I was completely lost when it came to the exam. I managed to do OK but it definitely wasn't worth the stress and my Spanish didn't really improve that year. If I knew from the beginning that the teachers wouldn't be teaching any content, I would have committed more to self-teaching the subject like drilling in certain vocabulary etc.

Here is my (slightly dated) thread on SQA language exams which I hope will help you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Let me know if you have any other questions! :rambo:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Quick-use
Thanks for the tag!

@Carysferguson29 Really sorry for the late response. AH French and Spanish are excellent subjects, especially if you're thinking about pursuing them at university (in which case, I'd argue they're essential). That said, I really, really wouldn't recommend self-learning them or not having full contact time. The content is somewhat heavy (not so much as English or History) and you really do need someone to guide you through everything. One thing I might recommend is doing the subjects but not committing to sitting the exams next year (unless you're confident). If you want to do them at university, just the experience of the AH subjects and the advanced language will help you a lot.

I went to a different school for AH Spanish and after a whole year of commuting to that school 2 days a week, I realised that I hadn't learned anything. Up to that point, I felt as if I had self-learned things but because I had no concrete resources to guide me, I was completely lost when it came to the exam. I managed to do OK but it definitely wasn't worth the stress and my Spanish didn't really improve that year. If I knew from the beginning that the teachers wouldn't be teaching any content, I would have committed more to self-teaching the subject like drilling in certain vocabulary etc.

Here is my (slightly dated) thread on SQA language exams which I hope will help you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Let me know if you have any other questions! :rambo:

Thank you so much for replying! I have a teacher for both subjects who is doing online classes with me at the moment and giving me lots to do which is great. Do you have any books which you would recommend to perhaps just give me an extra boost with my vocabulary? I currently use “Bright Red” and I have a few other french books so it’s mainly Spanish I’m looking for. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending