The Student Room Group

I’m pregnant

Scroll to see replies

Hi OP, firstly congratulations! Becoming a mum is the most wonderful, rewarding, exciting time. I hope you’re doing well!I got pregnant in the Summer after my first year of University. As I wanted to breastfeed and was very nervous about the idea of leaving baby and returning to Uni I decided to take a year out, and I started University again when my daughter was 5 months old. You don’t HAVE to do this at all, if you don’t want to you will be able to speak to your tutors about getting help etc. And you can most definitely physically go to University when pregnant! (I believe an earlier poster said you couldn’t because of health and safety?) It is just likely that they will ask you to participate in a risk assessment.

Having a dependant, you may be eligible for a higher maintenance loan, a childcare grant and a parents learning allowance. A childcare grant covers up to 85% of childcare fees as long as the provider is Ofsted registered. The amount of time you have to spend in University will vary from course to course - you may be able to have your little one in childcare for just one day, or you may need all 5 days. You may also find that you have family and friends happy to help! I also have one lecturer that allows me to take my daughter into Uni if I’m stuck for childcare that day! Parents learning allowance is a grant of approximately £1500 spread over the three instalments. You don’t have to pay the childcare grant or parents learning allowance back.

The most important thing will be to talk to your tutors. You may need a quiet room to sit down in, or you might need help with equipment depending on your course. They will be able to help you with meeting deadlines too.After baby, you might need to have work sent home for you for a few weeks until you can go back. You might need to set up a room to pump in if you choose to breastfeed. Also tell your tutors that you will have your phone on and will answer it if you get a call regarding your baby!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, as I’m more than happy to! There are lots of challenges when it comes to studying with a little one (don’t even get me started on having to work from home in the current circumstances with a toddler!😂) but anything is possible if you’re committed. Good luck! 💛
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Who would genuinely be overjoyed that they are pregnant when they have ambitions of going to university and making something of themselves? Who would honestly think 'yes, this is just what I needed'? If I actually had any drive to go and acheive something in life and I found out I was pregnant I couldn't imagine myself feeling anything other than disappointment and confusion. And if I was a woman rather than a man who got pregnant, I wouldn't even feel confused.

Many people feel the greatest thing they could do is create life. Having that relationship with your own child is usually more important than any material gains or career promotions. I'm not saying most people plan it before uni, but she's made her choice and I can see it being a good one.
If possible you should consider giving the baby to your parents or grand parents to care for while you study away from home.
Thread now re-opened. :smile:

I'd like to start by thanking those who have given good advice to the Original Poster. :ta:

A couple of reminders:

- If you're not here to post something helpful then please post elsewhere.
There are plenty of other forums on the site more suitable to debate teenage pregnancies or discuss the purpose of the anonymous function on TSR.

- Please be respectful and friendly to other members. If somebody has posted here asking for advice, please offer that advice without being overly critical or judgmental about their life choices.

- If you see a post which you don't think is helpful or appropriate to be on the site, please report it using the report button on the top right hand side of every post. It's there for a reason: it stops you needing to reply to that post, and makes the post disappear like magic once a moderator deals with it! :wizard:

Several posts have been removed from this thread as they do not help the Original Poster with her predicament. Please don't engage further in conversations which detract from the topic of the thread. If you'd like to discuss TSR's moderation process please visit this lovely private forum and start a thread.

Thanks all,
MR
On a serious note OP I say ABORT that thing. If you have high aspirations of going to uni then don't let a baby ruin it, even if others tell you having a baby is so cool. You can just do it later.
Original post by SoggyCabbages
On a serious note OP I say ABORT that thing. If you have high aspirations of going to uni then don't let a baby ruin it, even if others tell you having a baby is so cool. You can just do it later.

I wouldn’t say they should abort the baby
We don’t know that the op is not a 30 something married lady who is going back to education. Plenty of mature students have kids before or during studies and manage.
Original post by Catherine1973
We don’t know that the op is not a 30 something married lady who is going back to education. Plenty of mature students have kids before or during studies and manage.

Good point
To give advice, we really need to know if the pregnancy is something you are happy about and/or planned.

Universities can provide for new mothers, as well as allow you to defer or suspend your studies if you need to.
Original post by Catherine1973

True that's what i said
Original post by PhoenixFortune
To give advice, we really need to know if the pregnancy is something you are happy about and/or planned.

Universities can provide for new mothers, as well as allow you to defer or suspend your studies if you need to.

OP has just dipped, gone completely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending