The Student Room Group

Moral debate: if there was only one ventilator and Boris Johnson....

Scroll to see replies

If in this scenario there was no other boomer I could take the ventilator from, I would give the ventilator to the student and then hold a state funeral for Boris Johnson. The next Conservative leader would be impossible to defeat.
Reply 21
don’t give it to either of them.

Turn the lights off, sit in the corner of the ward, and watch them both die a slow, miserable death whilst munching on some spicy Cheetos
Original post by quirky editor
If in this scenario there was no other boomer I could take the ventilator from, I would give the ventilator to the student and then hold a state funeral for Boris Johnson. The next Conservative leader would be impossible to defeat.

You can’t take someone’s ventilator off then for another as a doctor.
Original post by CatusStarbright
You can’t take someone’s ventilator off then for another as a doctor.

I'm sure a speed bill could be passed to allow it
No life is inherently worth more. Threads like this are the opposite of helpful in this crisis.
Original post by Miss Maddie
Moral debate: if there was only one ventilator and Boris Johnson needed one as did a young student also in the ward, should Boris give it up to allow the child to have it?

My opinion is no. Boris has contributed more in his life tax wise and will achieve more/contribute more than the student ever will. Giving the ventilator to Boris gives it to the more productive person.

If the young student is a serial petty criminal does your view change?

I believe that, if we view things in an utilitarian way, Boris might have contributed more, but the student will too, if his life is saved. He has had less time to contribute to society and it would not be fair to deprive him from a chance of doing so.

Also, in response to your argument : you cannot say that for sure. What if the student ends up becoming the next Steve Jobs and creates millions of jobs all over the World, amasses a fortune and (actually) pays his taxes?
Reply 26
Moral debate: if there was only one ventilator and Boris Johnson needed one as did a young student also in the ward, should Boris give it up to allow the child to have it?

My opinion is no. Boris has contributed more in his life tax wise and will achieve more/contribute more than the student ever will. Giving the ventilator to Boris gives it to the more productive person.

As @barnetlad said above, is this really appropriate at this current time? I'm no fan of Boris Johnson in any respect, but the man is currently in intensive care, fighting for his life to the immense stress of his loved ones, who are also having to bear immense attention from the media on top of it - do you really think it's helpful for them, or anyone else for that matter, to start a thread about who you would theoretically kill when there are already people dying currently?

Just such a pointless debate, and not at all appropriate to the current circumstances as there are many real people, in real life, currently having to similar choices in hospitals, right now as we speak.
Boris should have the ventilator because he is the Prime Minister.

This probably isn't the best thing to post given he is in hospital at the moment.

And if the student was you, would your view change?
Reply 29
As much as i dislike Boris and his politics he should get it, he is by definition the more deserving im afraid.
Reply 30
Original post by YaliaV
No life is inherently worth more.

Why do you say that?
Original post by Napp
Why do you say that?

You don’t agree?
Reply 32
Original post by YaliaV
You don’t agree?

Depends in what way. On a purely mathematical level, people are naturally worth different amounts me it in dollar terms, to society or in some other sense. After all, that is what triage is about, no?
Reply 33
Rich, powerful, widely liked, changed lives for the better (as most see it)

He's made something of himself

Not to get drawn into the debate but you do realise he was born rich and powerful? It's not exactly the rags to riches story you're suggesting ...

He's also a big fan of the wonderful NHS who have just treated him brilliantly.
they could have a game of whiff whaff.... winner gets ventilated :h:
Original post by the bear
they could have a game of whiff whaff.... winner gets ventilated :h:

Whiff whaff - I had to look that up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending