The Student Room Group

Students should be released from tenancies early

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
imagine waking up for uni, but not being able to get there because the busses are on strike, and then demanding that the uni reimburse you for the cost of the lesson.

has the bus strike got anything to do with the uni?
did the uni tell the busses to stop running?

likewise, has your uni closure got anything to do with your landlord?
did you landlord tell your uni to close?
Reply 61
Original post by Muttley79
My friend's husband is a dentist - he can't work [no PPE] so they have taken a mortgage holiday on their house - everyone can do that. People are being furloughed with companies making up the 20% in many companies.

Students need to realise they need to be responsible when taking on a contract - don't do it if you haven't got the money upfront.

Not that i disagree with your point per se but expecting anyone, least of all a student, to have the full contracts rent in the bank is somewhat excessive no?
Students need to realise they need to be responsible when taking on a contract - don't do it if you haven't got the money upfront.

Very few people will have the money for a full year's rent upfront, it is absolute nonsense to suggest that this is reasonable solution.
Original post by DiddyDec
Very few people will have the money for a full year's rent upfront, it is absolute nonsense to suggest that this is reasonable solution.

Of course it isn't - you know how much SF you'll have so you make sure you earn the rest the summer before and/or see how much your parents are gong to help.

Students are far more fortunate than many people at the moment - stop moaning and start helping other people.
Of course it isn't - you know how much SF you'll have so you make sure you earn the rest the summer before and/or see how much your parents are gong to help.

Students are far more fortunate than many people at the moment - stop moaning and start helping other people.

Ahh. You should have said that to begin with; then I would have known to not reply to you in the first place. Like I said; what you’re saying is a form of bullying. I work hard with my degree and part time job and I’m in no position to help anyone financially when I have no money myself. Just because students and young and choose to get an education doesn’t mean we are fortunate.

But when parents can't help as they could before or people lose income it causes issues as one cannot plan for this eventuality.

I'm not a student, nor am I moaning. I do however take umbrage with the tone of your posts as of late. I actually try to offer solutions to people's issues on here rather than pointless lectures on what they should have done.
But when parents can't help as they could before or people lose income it causes issues as one cannot plan for this eventuality.

I'm not a student, nor am I moaning. I do however take umbrage with the tone of your posts as of late. I actually try to offer solutions to people's issues on here rather than pointless lectures on what they should have done.

It's very difficult to read 'tone' from a post.

I've been helping deliver food parcels to people who are really in need at the moment - perhaps others could do something practical too?
Original post by redrum2000
Ahh. You should have said that to begin with; then I would have known to not reply to you in the first place. Like I said; what you’re saying is a form of bullying. I work hard with my degree and part time job and I’m in no position to help anyone financially when I have no money myself. Just because students and young and choose to get an education doesn’t mean we are fortunate.

You are in a much better place than people needing food parcels to survive or on the front line - it doesn't cost money to help other people :smile:
It's very difficult to read 'tone' from a post.

I've been helping deliver food parcels to people who are really in need at the moment - perhaps others could do something practical too?

Not your posts.

Good for you. I support the NHS through my work.
Not your posts.

In your opinion .... just read back some of the 'entitled' posts recently - we are all in this and students are sheltered from the worst.
students are sheltered from the worst.

In your opinion.
If you're struggling financially and/or your landlord is being unreasonable or refusing to answer questions then talk to BOTH your university student support team AND your student union. Both might be able to help you access hardship funding and legal support to get responses from your landlord.

Bad student landlords can be flagged by university and student union - effectively cutting off their rental income in future years. The threat of being blacklisted by the university is often enough to get landlords to start being reasonable.
Original post by Anonymous370
Could you explain plz ? What's like the max on savings to claim on benefits/UC ? Is it £16k ? At what savings level would you suggest that one consider claiming benefits ? Like at a time like this and without a Job/income at hand.

Honestly best checking with them, it varies, They're a bit more generous now but previously it was anything over 2k in savings would have an impact. traditionally if you had any substantial savings you were expected top use those before claiming state help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending