The Student Room Group

Insuring a higher offer

Okay so I want to firm one of the two offers, I have another offer and that is a BBB offer from Manchester which I do not want to firm.

So the first one is University of Manchester, Physics with Philosophy A*A*A

and the other one is Kings College London AAB

I am from London and want to firm the AAB offer but is it even possible to insure a higher offer?

What happens if I dont get AAB this year? Well if I get ABB I will probs get in given the current circumstances. But the BBB offer is Physics with a Foundation year which I dont want to do.

So what do I do? I am too lazy and I dont want to go to Manchester, too stressful haha
Original post by ClayJensen817
Okay so I want to firm one of the two offers, I have another offer and that is a BBB offer from Manchester which I do not want to firm.

I am from London and want to firm the AAB offer but is it even possible to insure a higher offer?

What happens if I dont get AAB this year? Well if I get ABB I will probs get in given the current circumstances. But the BBB offer is Physics with a Foundation year which I dont want to do.

So what do I do? I am too lazy and I dont want to go to Manchester, too stressful haha

Yes but the chances of it ever coming into play are remote.
Why even consider a course you dont wish to do?
If you wnat to go to KCL then put that first.
Physics at Manchester is very competitive. It is probably their flagship course or certainly one of them. It is unlikely they will drop their grades so I wouldnt insure them

Just Firm Kings and don't bother with an Insurance. If you don't get into Kings you will go straight into Clearing and can pick a new Physics course at that stage.

It is either that or Insure the Manchester Foundation Year because Manchester are extremely unlikely to accept someone on an A*A*A course with grades lower than AAB.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes but the chances of it ever coming into play are remote.
Why even consider a course you dont wish to do?
If you wnat to go to KCL then put that first.

Then what should I insure? I only have 3 offers. Cambridge and UCL rejected me. And I want to get into UCL through clearing if that will be possible lol. AAB is Kings and UCL is AAA
Original post by swanseajack1
Physics at Manchester is very competitive. It is probably their flagship course or certainly one of them. It is unlikely they will drop their grades so I wouldnt insure them

Then firm Manchester? But if I get lower than AAB I dont want Kings rejecting me because I didnt choose them as my firm.
Original post by harrysbar
Just Firm Kings and don't bother with an Insurance. If you don't get into Kings you will go straight into Clearing and can pick a new Physics course at that stage.

It is either that or Insure the Manchester Foundation Year because Manchester are extremely unlikely to accept someone on an A*A*A course with grades lower than AAB.

I know Manchester is probably the best for my course but now I really want to stay in London. KCL has a better reputation but their Physics department is **** and I want to be a particle physicist and Manchester is the best for that. I think many people wouldnt be taking the Manchester offer cause of the current situation and would prefer firming other universities instead? So manchester would have to be a bit more lenient this year. theyre lenient every year anyways.
Then what should I insure? I only have 3 offers. Cambridge and UCL rejected me. And I want to get into UCL through clearing if that will be possible lol. AAB is Kings and UCL is AAA

I just pointed out above that you don't have to have an Insurance
I just pointed out above that you don't have to have an Insurance

okay true but I want one for some reason LOL. Hmmm...

I will just make a post asking people if I should go for KCL or Manchester and the uni with the most approvals gets the firm and the other one gets insurance?
I will just make a post asking people if I should go for KCL or Manchester and the uni with the most approvals gets the firm and the other one gets insurance?

It's a ridiculous way to decide - asking strangers on the internet if you should go to KCL or Manchester and deciding based on which one gets the most approvals. Don't you realise that most people will just vote based on their own views on which city they happen to prefer.

You have stated very clearly that "I don't want to go to Manchester, too stressful" and "I really want to stay in London". Listen to yourself not ask for more opinions from other people.

There is nothing wrong with only having one choice. If you don't get into Kings then you wouldn't have got into Manchester either for their main degree course. If you get better than the AAB that Kings are asking for and can see that there are better options out there like UCL, you could apply to UCL via Adustment

You can insure a higher offer if you like! I did, but it was one grade higher than my firm and I knew even though the offer was higher the university was more likely to be flexible than my firm. However as other people have said, it's highly unlikely that Manchester would take you with grades less than their offer because the course is popular.

If you know you don't want to go to Manchester anyway there's nothing wrong with insuring either course if they're the only ones you have offers for, it would just make more logical sense to insure the foundation degree BBB offer.

A word of advice though, if don't get the grades for KCL don't fold and do the foundation degree at Manchester because as you've said you don't want to go to Manchester. Have a think about other unis you would like to go to and have a look online to see if you can find some that you can be sure will go into clearing, or take a year out and apply again! Everyone I know at uni that took an insurance they weren't sure about because they were only set on their firm choice ended up dropping out and reapplying anyway.
It's a ridiculous way to decide - asking strangers on the internet if you should go to KCL or Manchester and deciding based on which one gets the most approvals. Don't you realise that most people will just vote based on their own views on which city they happen to prefer.

You have stated very clearly that "I don't want to go to Manchester, too stressful" and "I really want to stay in London". Listen to yourself not ask for more opinions from other people.

There is nothing wrong with only having one choice. If you don't get into Kings then you wouldn't have got into Manchester either for their main degree course. If you get better than the AAB that Kings are asking for and can see that there are better options out there like UCL, you could apply to UCL via Adustment

I second this! And would add that if you're really not fussed on the Physics course at KCL either (as you stated the department wasn't good there) then personally I think you should take some time to think about what you really want, and if that's UCL take a year out to get there.
Original post by Cookie0799
I second this! And would add that if you're really not fussed on the Physics course at KCL either (as you stated the department wasn't good there) then personally I think you should take some time to think about what you really want, and if that's UCL take a year out to get there.

I prefer the KCL course cause it has Philosophy too but I really cant decide. Will a Physics with Philosophy course be of any use to me? Like if I wanted to study a masters in theoretical Physics my application will not be competitive at all and I can study Philosophical physics as a masters later with just a Physics degree. Plus UCL has too much computing in their course While KCL has a better course structure and Manchester has the best course structure of them all.

Although the actual reason behind me not wanting my ex fav uni i.e Manchester is because I have had bad experiences with potential students going there and someone who lives in that city. I know it is irrational and people are different when you go to uni and you have people from all sorts of backgrounds however it is just there at the back of my mind. I love the department and the city but it is this irrational fear of seeing them there and being emotionally and verbally abused by them

What do I do?

I really want to firm Manchester but AAB is easier and I am being drawn towards that and my parents would prefer I stay in London and I love London and London overall is better than Manchester and it is just so so so so confusing.

Plus I am really lazy cause I dont want to do my own washing and cooking and I wont even be staying in uni accommodation if I went to Manchester. (I am under 18)

So... what do I do?
I prefer the KCL course cause it has Philosophy too but I really cant decide. Will a Physics with Philosophy course be of any use to me? Like if I wanted to study a masters in theoretical Physics my application will not be competitive at all and I can study Philosophical physics as a masters later with just a Physics degree. Plus UCL has too much computing in their course While KCL has a better course structure and Manchester has the best course structure of them all.

Although the actual reason behind me not wanting my ex fav uni i.e Manchester is because I have had bad experiences with potential students going there and someone who lives in that city. I know it is irrational and people are different when you go to uni and you have people from all sorts of backgrounds however it is just there at the back of my mind. I love the department and the city but it is this irrational fear of seeing them there and being emotionally and verbally abused by them

What do I do?

I really want to firm Manchester but AAB is easier and I am being drawn towards that and my parents would prefer I stay in London and I love London and London overall is better than Manchester and it is just so so so so confusing.

Plus I am really lazy cause I dont want to do my own washing and cooking and I wont even be staying in uni accommodation if I went to Manchester. (I am under 18)

So... what do I do?

I'm a Biochemistry undergrad and my boyfriend does Physics and we're both quite comfortable that if we wanted to get onto a masters program there are spaces available and it's not too competitive providing you get a 2:1. I know people with Marine Biology undergraduates that have gone on to study Biochemistry masters, your degree is going to be PHYSICS with Philosophy so I don't think you need to worry about your masters opportunity in Physics. Go with the course you're passionate about because you'll get the best outcome from that!

I can't speak for everyone, but I go to university ~50 minutes from home - lots of people I knew from home go to the same university as me and everyone from home goes 'out-out' in the city I go to uni in but I have literally NEVER in three years bumped into anyone I knew from home. Alternatively one of my boyfriend's good friends was in our halls and we saw him all the time, but I do feel like you'll only see people from home if you make the effort to. For context I go to uni in Cardiff which you can literally walk from one end of the city centre to the other in like half an hour, so it's tiny in comparison to Manchester.

Don't make your decision based on fear (how cheesy is that) make your decision based on which course you like best and where you can see yourself living for three years. There are perks to going to university close to home, but in reality if you live at uni you end up seeing your parents only as often as anyone else does even if they live further away.

Ring Manchester and see if you didn't make the A*A*A offer they would offer you the foundation course as standard - some unis do this and go for it if you feel you really want to be there! In terms of laziness, don't worry about that. Most uni students do washing once a month and order takeout all the time anyway:biggrin:
I'm a Biochemistry undergrad and my boyfriend does Physics and we're both quite comfortable that if we wanted to get onto a masters program there are spaces available and it's not too competitive providing you get a 2:1. I know people with Marine Biology undergraduates that have gone on to study Biochemistry masters, your degree is going to be PHYSICS with Philosophy so I don't think you need to worry about your masters opportunity in Physics. Go with the course you're passionate about because you'll get the best outcome from that!

I can't speak for everyone, but I go to university ~50 minutes from home - lots of people I knew from home go to the same university as me and everyone from home goes 'out-out' in the city I go to uni in but I have literally NEVER in three years bumped into anyone I knew from home. Alternatively one of my boyfriend's good friends was in our halls and we saw him all the time, but I do feel like you'll only see people from home if you make the effort to. For context I go to uni in Cardiff which you can literally walk from one end of the city centre to the other in like half an hour, so it's tiny in comparison to Manchester.

Don't make your decision based on fear (how cheesy is that) make your decision based on which course you like best and where you can see yourself living for three years. There are perks to going to university close to home, but in reality if you live at uni you end up seeing your parents only as often as anyone else does even if they live further away.

Ring Manchester and see if you didn't make the A*A*A offer they would offer you the foundation course as standard - some unis do this and go for it if you feel you really want to be there! In terms of laziness, don't worry about that. Most uni students do washing once a month and order takeout all the time anyway:biggrin:

Hmmm thanks for telling me that tbh. Made me feel better haha. I might just firm Manchester and insure Kings and leave everything to the grading system haha.

In all honesty if I dont get the grades then apply though clearing to some other uni. I will be fine and I dont think I will get lower than ABB. One grade isnt too far so Kings wont be that harsh with me?
Hmmm thanks for telling me that tbh. Made me feel better haha. I might just firm Manchester and insure Kings and leave everything to the grading system haha.

In all honesty if I dont get the grades then apply though clearing to some other uni. I will be fine and I dont think I will get lower than ABB. One grade isnt too far so Kings wont be that harsh with me?

The system this year is terrifying but there's nothing you can do about it, don't change your decisions based on it. All you can do is hope your hard work will be reflected! Also I believe teachers have been told to consider what grades you need to progress onto the next stage, so unless it's a massive stretch to assume you're an AAB candidates you should get at least those grades.
The system this year is terrifying but there's nothing you can do about it, don't change your decisions based on it. All you can do is hope your hard work will be reflected! Also I believe teachers have been told to consider what grades you need to progress onto the next stage, so unless it's a massive stretch to assume you're an AAB candidates you should get at least those grades.

I hope so haha... thanks mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending