If you were to divide the entire UK into north and south, where would wales be?

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Places like Cardiff are more southerly than a lot of places along the east coast like Southend, yet aren't exactly "southern" or "northern" in culture. so if you had to choose north or south, where would it go? I personally guess geographically anyway you could split wales into to with north wales being in the north given its proximity to cheshire and merseyside and south wales being in the south due to its proximity to britsol ect
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would remain Wales? I don't really hold with further ignoring what is left of the Welsh national identity by mixing them in with the English.

I'd chuck it in with Scotland.
Dee-Emma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Think Wales has it's own social and cultural divisions based on history, industry and landscape. The English North-south divide is at best a blunt generalisation for England, not really applicable to the other countries in the uk.
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
It would remain Wales? I don't really hold with further ignoring what is left of the Welsh national identity by mixing them in with the English.

In terms of government and statistical data, Wales is the same as England (they are included as "England and Wales".

Wales has been closer to England than the other nations since King Henry VIII annexed it.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why are we doing this again...it's not Korea or confederate USA.
Hudds999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The West
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wait, North Wales in the north and South Wales in the south?! Now that's big brain stuff.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends where you draw the dividing line
username4950464
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
south
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wales, especially south Wales, is more like the South-West. I honestly don't think you can divide England into simple North and South, it is a lot more complex.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wales would be Wales, but if we were to go back to the good old days before the pandering to Welsh nationalists it would be part of the North according to the traditional socioeconomic N/S divide, which does largely hold to this day
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Places like Cardiff are more southerly than a lot of places along the east coast like Southend, yet aren't exactly "southern" or "northern" in culture. so if you had to choose north or south, where would it go? I personally guess geographically anyway you could split wales into to with north wales being in the north given its proximity to cheshire and merseyside and south wales being in the south due to its proximity to britsol ect
Pretty easy, its be in the south, along with Liverpool/Manchester/Huddersfield/Leeds/Hull.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...United_Kingdom

How do you work out that geographically any of it would be in the north?
Last edited by Quady; 1 year ago
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wales is Wales. The whole North vs South thing is bs. I think the best way to do it is to have West Country, Metropolitan, East Anglia, The Midlands, The North, Scotland and Northern Ireland (or just Ireland if you are a Republican).
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We could settle it the old fashioned way

Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vicvic38)

Hang on. Re-read that.

You don't want to ignore Welsh identity by lumping them in with anyone else.
So you want to lump them in with Scotland.
:confused:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Hang on. Re-read that.

You don't want to ignore Welsh identity by lumping them in with anyone else.
So you want to lump them in with Scotland.
:confused:
:lol:

some galaxybrain **** going on in this thread, eh
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dairn Sairth.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is the same strong stuff being smoked that led to Britain drawing the disastrous lines in India, Israel, Africa etc... old habits die hard lol
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Surnia)
It depends where you draw the dividing line
Let's make it squiggly and diagonal..lol
(Original post by gjd800)
:lol:

some galaxybrain **** going on in this thread, eh
You never told me why you got held up by the police...are we ignoring each other now...
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
This is the same strong stuff being smoked that led to Britain drawing the disastrous lines in India, Israel, Africa etc... old habits die hard lol
To be honest it just seemed like good old fashioned laziness for most of them
Although in fairness we were far from the only offender with the French and Russians being particular offenders followed by the Italians, Germans, Americans etc. further down the list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads