The Student Room Group

Do you have to be an Extrovert to succeed in Physio?

I like being around people, I have always worked in Sociable roles, I am good talking to people one on one but I don't contribute a lot in groups as much, I am more of an Introverted Extrovert, so I enjoy and feel good when I am around people but I don't like to be put on the spot or centre of attention, I don't make conversation with anyone and everyone I am more reserved. I think when I have a purpose and competency in something I would feel confident talking to someone and performing the role. Presentations I don't enjoy but I guess i'll have to get used to them. Was their many quieter/analytical people on your course who didn't have the most confidence to start with but maybe the course bought it out of them? I know I am capable it's just I am very self-critical and don't believe in myself enough which causes anxiety and the vicious cycle of me feeling unconfident which I need to break the loop. It brings out other qualities in me though - I was thinking though if I can't overcome it, I could always take the MSc in Animal Physio :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Honestly, introverts and extraverts usually go 50/50 and there will be so many different types of people at uni. You will find that you're more confident than others but less confident than others and that's ok. Personally, I don't think you should label yourself as either extroverted or introverted because then you're putting yourself in a restricting box that you will find difficult to get out of and how you project yourself is how others will see you. From experience, don't think about how sociable you are but rather what you feel comfortable with and what you'd like to improve on. For example, I love people and parties etc. but I can get exhausted from too much social interaction and that's something I've accepted and through understanding myself i am now able to balance my energy levels in social situations rather than be frustrated by a lack of it. Do what you enjoy and so no, you do not need to be an extrovert to succeed in physio.
Reply 2
I just want to thank you all for the advice on here throughout the last few weeks, I have done hundreds upon hundreds hours of research and I thought I might enjoy it or be passionate about physiotherapy but the more I have learnt and read I have realised it is not for me and I would be SO much more suited to something more holistic e.g. Acupuncture and would actually be truly passionate about it rather than conform to something I cant because I don't LOVE it like I should! This is why I have had so much anxiety that seemed to be getting worse and started questioning myself and my capabilities because I was realising i'm not cut out for being a physio, I am intelligent enough and dedicated that I could have got myself through the interview process etc and probably landed a place but I am so glad I have realised this now before its too late and I go through all that effort and regret it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending