The Student Room Group

Self-plagiarism?

Hello, I am currently doing an MA and writing an essay for a course in which the topic I have chosen covers an artist I have written about in my undergrad dissertation. The essay won't focus on the same aspect of the artist's art that my dissertation did. In my dissertation, I talked about the artist's fashion design, in the essay I will talk about her paintings. I have let my tutor know that I have explored the artist and her fashion before but that I want to focus on something else this time, and she said it's alright. However, since I do have to go over the artist's life and method of painting, some of the bits could possibly repeat my dissertation, with different wording, but still similar, since there's only so much you can say that's different when it comes to someone's biography. I am worried if this could count as self-plagiarism since I do need to talk about her philosophy on art again in order to apply it to her painting style, rather than her fashion. I've seen many academics write on the same topic and somewhat repeat themselves when it comes to the biography and philosophy of an artist, but I don't know if this would apply in my case. I don't intend to repeat myself too much or the same way but you never know. Could Turnitin detect my dissertation (it was with another uni)? Should I go ahead with this essay or pick another topic?
Original post by sixkindsofblu
Hello, I am currently doing an MA and writing an essay for a course in which the topic I have chosen covers an artist I have written about in my undergrad dissertation. The essay won't focus on the same aspect of the artist's art that my dissertation did. In my dissertation, I talked about the artist's fashion design, in the essay I will talk about her paintings. I have let my tutor know that I have explored the artist and her fashion before but that I want to focus on something else this time, and she said it's alright. However, since I do have to go over the artist's life and method of painting, some of the bits could possibly repeat my dissertation, with different wording, but still similar, since there's only so much you can say that's different when it comes to someone's biography. I am worried if this could count as self-plagiarism since I do need to talk about her philosophy on art again in order to apply it to her painting style, rather than her fashion. I've seen many academics write on the same topic and somewhat repeat themselves when it comes to the biography and philosophy of an artist, but I don't know if this would apply in my case. I don't intend to repeat myself too much or the same way but you never know. Could Turnitin detect my dissertation (it was with another uni)? Should I go ahead with this essay or pick another topic?

You can do a test Turnitin to check

You need to reference your undergrad dissertation. However, be careful, because most degrees won't let you submit work, or even parts of work that have previously been used to gain another degree. If there is very much overlap between the two pieces of work, it could get tricky. Any question, and they'd simply ask to see your undergrad dissertation for comparison.

If it's only a small part, why not just write it again from other sources? Published authors writing about this artist are much more credible as authorities and references than you are.
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to reference your undergrad dissertation. However, be careful, because most degrees won't let you submit work, or even parts of work that have previously been used to gain another degree. If there is very much overlap between the two pieces of work, it could get tricky. Any question, and they'd simply ask to see your undergrad dissertation for comparison.

If it's only a small part, why not just write it again from other sources? Published authors writing about this artist are much more credible as authorities and references than you are.

I'd say the overlap is nothing more than the artist's biography and how she shaped her views on art, which is all related to her life, all of that is kind of historical facts so I am not sure it would count as plagiarising (the wording is different as well). I am using other sources as well, but since there isn't a huge amount of people who have written on her, some of the sources I have already used in certain bits may overlap, which is what I am worried about.
I'd say the overlap is nothing more than the artist's biography and how she shaped her views on art, which is all related to her life, all of that is kind of historical facts so I am not sure it would count as plagiarising (the wording is different as well). I am using other sources as well, but since there isn't a huge amount of people who have written on her, some of the sources I have already used in certain bits may overlap, which is what I am worried about.

Using the same books as previously isn't an issue. It's only self-plagiarising if you go back to your undergrad diss and take a few paragraphs out of it and put them in the new work. If you just forget all about the work you've done before, and write a new section, that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending