The Student Room Group

Struggling to get into construction

Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a struggle at the moment in regards to career options. I graduated last year with a degree in Psychology, however at this point in time in not interested in going into my original career path of clinical psychology. I did find a sector though- Occupational/Organisational/Business Psychology that I fell in love with. However, I have also realised that I enjoy seeing things come to fruition and I love to lead groups and improve their efficiency. I am DYING to go into construction and have applied to Willmott Dixon Management trainee scheme (I'm still waiting to hear from them- understandable in current time- and I'm praying my application gets progressed). Additionally I thought about architecture but that require going back for another undergrad and with funding out of the window I'm not too sure. Finally, I love my French, so do I move to France and do something with that for a year. The thoughts/advice I would like is: 1) Do I do my masters this year in organisational psychology? 2) Do I try and get into construction with a non-construction background (HOW? please if anyone knows) 3)Start again with architect degree 4) Become fluent French by working there for a year If I'm honest, writing this has shown my heart is set on construction management, it combines by psychology and my love of architecture, but I'd still love to hear other POV's and any advice for construction if possible! Thanks :smile:
Original post by chocolate_eyes98
Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a struggle at the moment in regards to career options. I graduated last year with a degree in Psychology, however at this point in time in not interested in going into my original career path of clinical psychology. I did find a sector though- Occupational/Organisational/Business Psychology that I fell in love with. However, I have also realised that I enjoy seeing things come to fruition and I love to lead groups and improve their efficiency. I am DYING to go into construction and have applied to Willmott Dixon Management trainee scheme (I'm still waiting to hear from them- understandable in current time- and I'm praying my application gets progressed). Additionally I thought about architecture but that require going back for another undergrad and with funding out of the window I'm not too sure. Finally, I love my French, so do I move to France and do something with that for a year. The thoughts/advice I would like is: 1) Do I do my masters this year in organisational psychology? 2) Do I try and get into construction with a non-construction background (HOW? please if anyone knows) 3)Start again with architect degree 4) Become fluent French by working there for a year If I'm honest, writing this has shown my heart is set on construction management, it combines by psychology and my love of architecture, but I'd still love to hear other POV's and any advice for construction if possible! Thanks :smile:

Plan each in more detail - I suspect you'll find problems with all those routes, but most obviously Architecture.

Try looking at the RICS website to see if there are any short courses you can do to strengthen a construction application - there are some project management courses for sure.
Original post by chocolate_eyes98

What are you specifically looking to do in construction?
Reply 3
Why construction in particular? WIlmott Dixon are a fine firm that offer great training, but there are other non construction firms where you could lead teams and increase efficiency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending