The Student Room Group

How do you look back on your time at school?

Sometimes I have fond memories but other times I think that it was full of a lot of unpleasantness and kind of a glad to have left.

Scroll to see replies

I had a terrible time. I didn’t fit in and was constantly bullied. University is so much better and I have a great group of friends. :smile:
I kind of missed going to school. The routine, talking to friends and learning.
Hated primary school, secondary school, college and uni. I wasn't bullied thankfully but I just didn't enjoy any of it. Bored me. Don't miss it at all.
Reply 4
primary school was the best time of my life. secondary school had me at my lowest point in life mentally. college wasnt that bad, just disappointing at worst
Didn't reach my potential :frown:
Original post by Fermion.
I had a terrible time. I didn’t fit in and was constantly bullied. University is so much better and I have a great group of friends. :smile:

Basically this. It got better by the end but the beginning was so bad.
Haven't finished school yet
But in secondary school I was barely allowed into my lessons and was on report basically 90% of the time, so I can't say I look back and 'miss it'
Original post by karl pilkington
Sometimes I have fond memories but other times I think that it was full of a lot of unpleasantness and kind of a glad to have left.

I really enjoyed the studying aspect of school, but was severely bullied. Uni was a great eye opener and I managed to make a handful of friends. 😊.
Hated primary school and hated secondary school. Worst years of my life and ruined my childhood. Spent so much time on fake friends too. It really effed up my head. So badly.
I, quite contrary to most people who've posted, personally enjoyed primary school, high school and college thus far. I'll be starting university this year (hopefully) and I hope it stays the same as it always has.
Primary was probably the best time of my life, then the first 3 years of High school were amazing with so many friends and memories until GCSE's and exams started. Then, Sixth Form was my lowest point; 2 years of depression from A levels, lost a lot of friends, anxiety levels through the roof, sleepless nights, suicidal thoughts and doing very badly in tests and mock exams despite trying as hard as I could. And to top it all off, disappointing A level grades at the end of it all. I'd probably go back to high school only for the friends and memories but NOT the exams. It's just a shame that the majority of my "best days" were spent on school and depression instead of having fun and going out with friends partying etc. Anyways, hope Uni will be better.
(edited 3 years ago)
There’s two parts to my school experience, I have some of the most amazing and some very dark memories.
Dark memories of assault, bullying, mental health decline and a class mate dying.
Amazing memories of the time my school made a water park on the field and the teachers and students has a water fight, the inside jokes, skiving assembly and having some of the best teachers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Primary school was awful because of the silly rules we had to follow, and the very un-realistic behaviour they expected of children. Expecting children as young as 6 not to play fight is like denying a child to understand what their body can / can't do compared to other children. I understand somewhat, but the silly lining up before being allowed to go to lunch was also just silly.
Secondary school was great after Year 8. Took me a while to adjust but in the end I was having a wonderful time.
Reply 14
Original post by karl pilkington

Didn't realise it at the time but the best time of my life. Especially from years 11 - end of 6th form.
Reply 15
Don't miss it

It was fine but I'd rather have been doing other things.

I kinda miss my legs being able to take playing competitive rugby, though
I don't miss it either. My main feeling is that I did myself justice, especially in A levels. No feeling that I could have done any better.
Primary school- was mostly dreadful I had no friends once I have finally made friends we moved house so I went to a different primary school where I was bullied constantly and mercilessly and the worst thing is that the teachers didn't do anything frankly they didn't seem to care.

Secondary school-My 1st secondary school I was bullied a lot and not very much liked. 2nd secondary school I still wasn't very much liked I made 1 close friend but unfortunately he didn't want to remain in touch once we went to sixth form. I have made also another friend who was my best friend until very recently when she decided that she no longer wished to remain friends and she ended things. I did quite well though and I was very focused on my work and hard working.I had a brief breakdown in year 10 but it luckily only lasted half a year.

Sixth form- Got really depressed and never really recovered from that. My grades weren't very good as I mostly wasn't in and if I was I would be really unwell mentally so I couldn't really engage well with the classes and the teachers didn't want to help me. So after 2 years I only sat 1 a level and my dreams of going to med school were down the drain I left with 1 a level at a B grade :cry:.Then in an attempt to gain more a levels I went to an adult college had 12 hours a week worth of classes. I have really enjoyed the freedom offered in an adult college and the independence. I had the most amazing psychology teacher ever can't say the same for English.
Bullied by students, boring lessons, some bad teachers, no people I were really grown up and not in contact with anylonger. In retrospective it was a time I really hated.
I now understand homeschooling.

Quick Reply

Latest