The Student Room Group

how to stop being awkward

please this is an actual problem. I'm 18 female and don't have close friends and never had a best friend. I was social in school but when it came to one to one conversations my mind goes blank and have nothing to say even if we have so much in common I literally have nothing to say to you. its also with family, I cannot have a normal conversation with them and if so its always hows college and work, hows your kids thats it.

Getting out of the house isn't a problem its just the talking thats it.

Im gonna meet a bunch of new people in uni and I don't want awkwardness to be a problem. any tips or even conversation starters.
try and talk about topics you'd both be interested in or stuff that's in the news. when joining uni there's a lot of conversation starters:
what subjects did you take for a level
where you from
what accommodation are you staying in
talk about freshers
ask for their social medias
I feel ya...
Once i was with a couple acquaintances and they both were close but with me in idk how lol it became awkward and grew into awkward silence XD
I couldnt take it anymore so i made a lame start.
Guess what :lol:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Try to have interesting and relatable hobbies, that in itself gives you more to talk about.
Just a random example; nearly everyone is interested in TV Shows so perhaps bring up shows you may have both watched and before you know it the conversation just flows.

Family wise - it felt like you were talking about your extended family there so I actually don't know how to help with that as I'm sure a lot of people are like that, including myself with extended family members.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending