The Student Room Group

is it just me or is this guy acting weird?

So at work, we have people who come in on a temporary basis. Last year, I worked with this guy a lot over say, 6 months. We talked quite a bit, joked around etc. He came back randomly for a few days a few months ago, saw me, and stood there just looking until I noticed him and spoke. Also he came back recently (after a year) and doesn't speak. If I ask a question, he just nods and smiles. Saw him in passing as well, noticed him out of the corner of my eye and saw him shift and stand taller and turn towards me. I looked at him and said "Hi, you okay?" and he spoke super low, repeated what I said and smiled. idk, maybe it's me overthinking but I really would have liked to have become friends but it seems like I did something maybe to make him uncomfortable. I'm not asking people to sort it or have the answers. Idk, I just needed to write it because I do tend to overthink. I feel like we would have been good friends.
Reply 1
Hmmm tough to really know, but a few possibilities...

He might be interested in you, which leads to him becoming flustered and not sure how to act around you. That's a pretty common scenario.

Or maybe he's not interested at all, and that's why he's not really "showing" any real interest.

And/or maybe he's a bit socially awkward in general... some peeps have legit social anxiety, others don't have anxiety about it but are still just awkward in social settings and lack some of those skills.

It does seem odd though that you & him used to casually take and joke around? That makes me think that he's obviously capable of being comfortable talking with you, so maybe it's now shifted to where he has feelings for you but isn't sure how to go about showing it?
Reply 2
Original post by xxColinxx
Hmmm tough to really know, but a few possibilities...

He might be interested in you, which leads to him becoming flustered and not sure how to act around you. That's a pretty common scenario.

Or maybe he's not interested at all, and that's why he's not really "showing" any real interest.

And/or maybe he's a bit socially awkward in general... some peeps have legit social anxiety, others don't have anxiety about it but are still just awkward in social settings and lack some of those skills.

It does seem odd though that you & him used to casually take and joke around? That makes me think that he's obviously capable of being comfortable talking with you, so maybe it's now shifted to where he has feelings for you but isn't sure how to go about showing it?

Thank you for replying! I'm hoping that it isn't that as I don't feel that way about him at all. Yeah, last year we talked quite a bit but now it's super weird. I just sent a follow request on instagram and he accepted before I went off it and asked to follow me so I guess I haven't made him uncomfortable. He can be a bit awkward, last year he would stand like really close to me when he didn't need to, but then he was talking to this other person today who he just met (because she's new) and he was fine (from what she said). But idk how we went from that to this considering we haven't seen eachother in a year (apart from that one time).
Reply 3
Then from my male point of view, if I had to guess he's probably more interested in you than just being casual friends. I can't think of any other reason he'd be comfortable talking with you in the past, comfortable around other girls at work, but then acting more awkward towards you now.

But you're not interested at all in him beyond just casual friendship at work?
Reply 4
Thinking back on it, he always had this slight awkwardness about him but we still talked. When I saw him for the last time a year ago, he was a bit off and didn't say much so I thought I did something then. But then that random day I saw him, if I had done something, surely he would have just walked off and not stopped for me to say something/notice him. But I don't think he spoke then, just smiled and nodded. And now this a year later. I did think maybe he likes me but then idk how that would have happened considering I didn't see him for ages. Maybe I gave off an impression or something and he's trying to say he's not interested. But then he accepted my follow request when he could have ignored it. I don't see him that way but then I've always been someone who needs to be friends with someone first before I start thinking about that. I probably won't see him for another year now anyway so there's not much I can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending