The Student Room Group

Want to study dentistry but don’t know how.

Hi I’m 25 and am thinking for a while that I want to study dentistry as my husband is a dentist and it’s a really good profession. I’ve been out of education for the last 7 years

Problem is I don’t meet entry requirements I don’t have any A levels in biology or chemistry or the only useable gcse I have is A in maths. I know not all university accept Access to HE courses but i know that some do. I need help picking suitable to course or info on pathways to dentistry any type of info would be great as I just don’t know where to start.
The first thing I would look at is the entry requirements of your ideal university and course. It's probably ideal if you call up the university's admin department of the relevant school/college to confirm the specifics.

Access courses are accepted by the majority of English universities (as far as I know, the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh universities don't accept them). The rule of thumb is, the more prestigious the university, the less likely Access courses by themselves would be accepted.

Many universities have their own foundation year course, aimed at Level 3. These are essentially the universities' own access courses, and I am guessing most are transferrable to other universities, but you might want to check on that (and have a good explanation why you decide to switch universities if they decide to ask you this during interview). The thing you have to bear in mind though, these will cost the same as one year at uni.

If you decide to go into dentistry, it is more than likely you will not receive funding or support from the student loan company (as it is not your first level 3 course). You may want to check if you can get funding from other bodies e.g. NHS related organisations. Access courses are £3k, whereas the foundation year course is £9k. Access courses won't be held to the same regard as A Levels, because A Levels are harder.

If there is anything specific you want to ask, let me know.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest