The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Teaching in SE Asia with OU degree.

Hello all, hope you are well!!!!

I would really like to know if anyone has had the experience of teaching English in SE Asia, particularly in China or Vietnam with a degree from Open University uk.

I will be doing a BA degree in Open university of uk this year, but I am worried that for some reason my degree would be frowned upon or rejected by Chinese government due to it being Online learning.

I don't want to discredit this university, I hear very good things. But a big reason why I will study there is due to me needing a bachelors degree to teach in China. Would be a shame if it turned out to be useless for that.

Any insight appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by SkySky1
Hello all, hope you are well!!!!

I would really like to know if anyone has had the experience of teaching English in SE Asia, particularly in China or Vietnam with a degree from Open University uk.

I will be doing a BA degree in Open university of uk this year, but I am worried that for some reason my degree would be frowned upon or rejected by Chinese government due to it being Online learning.

I don't want to discredit this university, I hear very good things. But a big reason why I will study there is due to me needing a bachelors degree to teach in China. Would be a shame if it turned out to be useless for that.

Any insight appreciated.

Thank you

Hey!

I taught in China before they were so strict about needing a degree and actually studied some of my OU degree while I lived there.

They will not care at all where your degree is from. It is just red tape. As long as you have a bit of paper with degree on it, they'll take you.

At one point I had a fake degree there!! Haha. I don't think these work any more though lol.

Hope this helps!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
It does help, Thank you!!

May I ask, have you been teaching in Taiwan as well, with the OU degree, and if so, when?
Reply 3
Original post by SkySky1
It does help, Thank you!!

May I ask, have you been teaching in Taiwan as well, with the OU degree, and if so, when?

I haven't in Taiwan, no, but I imagine they would also accept it there.
Reply 4
Original post by Nerol
I haven't in Taiwan, no, but I imagine they would also accept it there.

That's the kicker that they seemingly don't.

I sent an email to Hesseducation.com which operates heavily in Taiwan and got a reply that The Taiwanese government does not accept online/distance learning degrees.
Reply 5
Original post by SkySky1
That's the kicker that they seemingly don't.

I sent an email to Hesseducation.com which operates heavily in Taiwan and got a reply that The Taiwanese government does not accept online/distance learning degrees.

Thats very strange. More teaching jobs in China anyway! Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest